Ultimate Subaru Message Board

control arm bolt won't come out after nut removed

Removed the nut from the bolt that holds the control arm to the frame of an XT6. On every other one i've ever worked on you tap the bolt and it slides out because the control arm isn't threaded. I pounded this one with a rather large hammer and it does not come out. doesn't move, doesn't turn, nothing. Someone welded this thing or what? not much rust issue on this vehicle either.

Removed the nut from the bolt that holds the control arm to the frame of an XT6. On every other one i've ever worked on you tap the bolt and it slides out because the control arm isn't threaded. I pounded this one with a rather large hammer and it does not come out. doesn't move, doesn't turn, nothing. Someone welded this thing or what? not much rust issue on this vehicle either.

did you already disconnect the hub assembly? if not try doing that so you can get a bit of leverage with the control arm and twist it around some see if that will loosen things up. another thing I'd try along with spraying it really good with some kind of penetrating oil, is try to get it out enough you can fit a screwdriver or prybar underneath the head of the bolt. Make sure that if you hammer on the bolt you use something to protect the threads unless you plan on replacing the bolt. I'm not completely familiar with ea82/xt6 suspension, but maybe something else is binding it up like the antisway bar or radius rod??? Hope this helps

it might have some rust in there anyway... shoot some PBBlaster in there and give it a while... Do that and then put a rachet on the bolt and try to unscrew it while you tap the butt. You might also unscrew the strut rod bolt a 1/2" and loosen the 3 strut bolts in the tower, to give you plenty of wiggle room.

the strut, hub and sway bars and rear trailing arm thingy are all disconnected. it's just hanging there. no way to get anything under the head and pry, i WAILED on the end of it and it didn't come out a nanometer. it doesn't move at all.

so it won't rotate either?

what about hammering on the outboard end of the control arm, forward and backward.. break that thing loose.

It's too bad you can't heat it without cooking the bushing... You could always drill thru the entire bolt and then maybe it'd pound out.. I'd guess that you're probably going to need a new bolt anyway :grin:

Been there while playing with BMW 2002s from the '70s... :eek: FRUSTRATING! Try a 30 year old car! Definitely pick up a can of PB'Blaster or bottle of 'Mouse Milk' (WD 40 just won't do)... has to be a penetrating catalyst. Then spray the area and area around it with water- use a propane torch and compressed air duster (like for blowing out computer keyboards)... the compressed carbon will act to quick freeze the area. Alternate flame and 'ice' will expand and contract the b*stard in there. Another squirt with the penetrant and try what you were trying to get it out originally.

Good Luck/Skill,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

119,000 miles

spray and torch, i like that idea!

actually i like the idea of pounding the end of the control arm inwards.

at this point i have the hub removed so i really don't need to remove it, but it's stuck so bad i wouldn't mind freeing it up and anti-seizing it right now.

that bolt is likely toasted on the end, i'll have to hit it with a die i'm sure before it's usable again. i hope it is, cause if it's not and it doesn't come out i'm really hosed. i'll be welding the nut back on!