Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally washed my new car

Hey guys, I just wanted to share a few pics of a '86 GL-10 wagon I bought a couple weeks ago. It's going to be my daily driver while I'm at grad school.

I finally had time to wash and vacuum it today. I tried using polish and wax on it but with no good results on the oxidized paint. On the other hand, as you can see it's a California car so there's minimal rust.

As for specs, it's FWD Automatic and has nearly 128,000 on it. It shifts relatively smoothly, and as I understand it, it has an EA82T engine. Distributor cap was replaced a couple days before I bought it from the previous owner. I've replaced the coolant, engine oil, and tires. The car starts up with no hesitation and runs great.

1xw9.jpg

img6174fs3.jpg

img6172vv6.jpg

I have a couple questions about it. Is anyone else's ignition switch a little finicky? I also wanted to confirm that I should be filling up with at least 90 octane (87,89,91 are available where I live)?

nice. i just saw one like it except blue in kent wa. the other day. sucker looked like it just rolled off the line. i'm serious. interior was flawless just like the outside. wish i coulda seen how many miles it had.

are those rims 13 or 14 inch? i have a set of five subaru alloys that were all same size, pair of one design and three of the other.. and one of the two designs is that one. Im curious to know what size tires are on them if they are 14s, and how they compare to the 17570R13s that are stock size on the 13 steelies..... because i have the steelies and wanna switch :- )

BTW, not to thread-jack, but how come the silly subaru hubcaps(the ones with like 18 spokes or whatever) dont actually go on the wheel without halfway mauling your tire stem?!?!

am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for the replies and comments.

daeron, the wheels are 13" on 175/70s.

Good thing I took those exterior pics when I did. It rained yesterday and today (not that it matters that much anyway). :cool: Here are some interior shots from today.

img6170bb7.jpg

img6181xz0.jpg

img6182hf7.jpg

img6183nc4.jpg

you might want to go ahead and plan on doing a head gasket just for safety's sake if you put the IC on.. but i think it would be a good idea. drive it for a while first and make sure you know her, and that she runs well and cool. I have been told that an aftermarket water temperature gauge, and an oil pressure gauge, are to be HIGHLY recommended on a car with a subaru digidash, but have yet to confirm it as a problem for me... but apparently they are prone to electrical interference. the worse ones are older than our digidashes (mines green and totally different, as my car is 2wd auto at and its 87 :- ) but talk to general disorder about that. he was the one who recommended it so strongly to me. In my car the trip comp is next to the stereo, think it is in yours too.. so im thinkin about putting a three guage panel down in the little area of the center console in front of the shifter, but below the stereo and ashtray.. on the later cars (i think 88 and on) the trip computer was put down there in a little inset-cover thing that fit into the cargo box that we have.... just some thoughts. pay attention to this forum, it doesnt take long to learn alot :- )

Your car is in nice shape! It was startling to see, as those cars around here self destructed by every possible means long ago (under 10 years as a daily driver)-- digidash was not welcome, and the bodies did something that really deteriorated fast. In fact I haven't seen one but once in all of new england in YEARS.My old basic 1987 DL was a rarity -- and that sat for years at a time. Just died last year (body broke).southern CA is another great place for the old subes that didn't make it in the extremes. :)

you can put an intercooler on it anytime you want. As it will add to the volume of air in the turbo system, it will increase boost lag a little, retarding your performance off the line, but not much. It will not harm your engine.

If you start increasing the boost pressure (one way to reduce turbo lag) without attending to air/fuel ratios and timing and such, that is when you get into trouble damaging the engine with running lean or too hard or whatever.

My advice would be to intercool the engine and then chop out the bottom of the airfilter box. Search on that and you'll see why; it will more than offset any turbo lag from adding a WRX intercooler.

If you start increasing the boost pressure (one way to reduce turbo lag) without attending to air/fuel ratios and timing and such,

Isn't that what the O2 sensor and AFM do? When theres more air, it puts more fuel to go with it? That's how the Mazda 626's do it... Otherwise having fuel injection would be about as pointless as using tire blackener... Or blinker fluid for that matter..