Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 oil pump ???'S Update 08-05-06

Did the search thing, came up empty....

Okay, got a new oil pump for the '86 BRAT. Just my luck, no seals or gaskets to mount it. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Ordered a gasket set for it... Got the small and large o-rings to use where needed to install oil pump. DIDN'T GET, the paper flat gasket though.... NNgggg!!!!!

Question(s) is/are;

Do I "(NEED)" the paper gasket, or can I just put a bead of RTV in the proper places?

Does the paper gasket serve as a shim to set proper depth of the drive sprag? If so, Does anyone here know what depth I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Update;

Cut my own gasket and installed oil pump today, (also installed new ball joints, tie rod ends). Did 3 attempts at setting the proper lash for the Hydro lifters, I'm close, but not there yet. #2 is dead, thinking I have the exhaust a bit to tight, I'll play with it more tomorrow. Getting these lifters adjusted is a real PITA. I have a copy of the FSM procedure here, so I "think" i'm doing it right. Took me a few attempts on the '84 Auto BRAT I had awhile back, also.

Not 100% sure yet, but the more I play with this engine, the more I think it's not the original, just little things here and there that I've noticed. I've swapped many engines in various vehicle makes, and can spot an engine swap fairly easy, this one just strikes me as one that been swapped. Guess I need to un-yuck the engine ID number and check it against the ones on here in the engine number sticky.

... Question(s) is/are; Do I "(NEED)" the paper gasket, or can I just put a bead of RTV in the proper places? ...

Well... I don´t know the Right Answer, also I Don´t Have a EA81, but in my Experience repairin´ cars (Not only Subies) I think you NEED the Paper Gasket there, ´cos RTV won´t work well there...

But, if you didn´t obtain the Paper Gasket, you can Made your Own! ... I do it sometimes, just buy the right kind of Paper for Gaskets, put the Piece of metal under it, and with a small hits to the Paper over the metal part (Use a Metallic Flat thing), the part will draw it´s own Shape on the Paper, then just cut there, and that´s your Paper Gasket.

I know that procedure maybe won´t work in the EA81´s Oil Pump, (As I Said, I don´t Know that Pumps) but the Idea can Help you...

Good Luck! :)

There is no paper gasket with the Dealer provided rebuild kit. Never heard of one being used either. BUT, where the block halfs mate together, theres a small area on the bottom of the pump mating surface that you need to use some RTV on. Sometimes the 2 surfaces are uneven.

There is no paper gasket with the Dealer provided rebuild kit. Never heard of one being used either. BUT, where the block halfs mate together, theres a small area on the bottom of the pump mating surface that you need to use some RTV on. Sometimes the 2 surfaces are uneven.

Please see item 18 in the figure below.

It's possible that the dealers are not including the gasket with the reseal kit anymore. It's been 10 years +/- since I last resealed an oil pump but the kit I got from the dealer back then did have that gasket in it.

oil_pump.jpg

do NOT use rtv sealant, you need a paper gasket and make sure you put it on with a light coat of oil and it will seal properly. Also make sure you clean both mating surfaces down to bare shiny metal. If you use RTV, it may not last and you also run a very high risk of it getting into something and clogging some oil passages(VERY BAD). I dont use rtv for ANYTHING unless there is no other way, in my experiance all it has done is caused problems. coating the gasket with oil is important because when the engine warms up it will "bake" the gasket and cause it to expand and seat right... if its dry this may not happen.

do NOT use rtv sealant, you need a paper gasket and make sure you put it on with a light coat of oil and it will seal properly. Also make sure you clean both mating surfaces down to bare shiny metal. If you use RTV, it may not last and you also run a very high risk of it getting into something and clogging some oil passages(VERY BAD). I dont use rtv for ANYTHING unless there is no other way, in my experiance all it has done is caused problems. coating the gasket with oil is important because when the engine warms up it will "bake" the gasket and cause it to expand and seat right... if its dry this may not happen.

Eh? The idea is to not use a half a tube of the stuff to get a seal. A little bit goes a long way.

I've done several oil pumps this way and have never had a leak or problem otherwise. But hey, what do I know, Ive only owned over 20 Subaru's and been working on them since 1987:rolleyes:

Eh? The idea is to not use a half a tube of the stuff to get a seal. A little bit goes a long way.

I've done several oil pumps this way and have never had a leak or problem otherwise. But hey, what do I know, Ive only owned over 20 Subaru's and been working on them since 1987:rolleyes:

Well Rob, maybe if you knew how to fix things you wouldn't have gone through 20 Subaru's!!! J/K (can't get emoticons to work anymore :( ) Seriously, when I did my first/last EA81 oil pump, it had a paper gasket IIRC, but that was 1988. And, every gasket that I have ever seen that has been exposed to oil and heat has "baked" to an unuseable, hard, brittle mess that sealed nothing. Not something that I would deliberately do.

Every kit I've bought from the dealer included the paper gasket. It's like 6 bucks from the dealer - just have em order it. I wouldn't install it without the gasket, but in a pinch I *might* use anerobic sealant (and not a lot either - very thin smear of it). I would not use RTV as any tiny amount could potentially clog an oil passage or lifter if you have hydro lifters. Anerobic at least would not harden if it got sucked into the oil.....

That's my feelings on the matter - personally I would use the supplied paper gasket - only in a *must have now* situation would I attempt any other sealing method. If i had the time and tools, I would MAKE the gasket from gasket paper if I were unable to obtain it any other way.

GD

The thickness of the pump to engine block gasket is not critical, within reason. When i got my new pump it cam with one, but when i went to get another one after the engine rebuild it would have had to come from japan so i cut my own..... i used gasket sealent where the block halves meet, but i wouldn't use rtv either, it does have a tendency to dissolve in oil.....

The pump is made by Parut, and does not come with the paper gasket, or the block mating o-ring. You have to get either a complete engine gasket set to get those two, or the "oil pump seal kit" which is a seperate part number from the pump. The seal kits come with all the seals - 4 o-rings, and the paper gasket. If you are installing a new pump you discard (save for later, etc) the 3 unused o-rings.

Incidentally, the dealer price is about $10 higher (wholesale price) than buying a Parut pump from a discount house. Same pump tho - last one I got I think was about $60 or $65 from a place here in town. At least with oil and water pumps, the OEM supplier makes them under their own name so you don't have to buy those from the dealer. We are not so lucky with other parts.

GD

• 1 month later...

Well, not to beat a dead horse, but I just wanted to point out my mistake.

I didnt relate the fact that Tom was talking about a EA81 oil pump, I thought it was just a 1800 pump. Difinate difference:-\

oilpump.jpg

I'm correct if talking about EA82 1800 pumps. There is no paper gasket.

Note to self. Slowly read original post before commenting:rolleyes: