Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Brat - Failed VA Safety Inspection

Folks,

Last week I got stopped in my 1994 Altima while passing through Colonial Heights and the cop gave me a verbal warning for not having my safety inspection done. So we are in the process of getting all cars inspected. Took my Brat in for inspection this morning and it failed. Brakes, suspension, steering etc. were fine. My Bosch fog lamps have been wired independent of the head lamps, so it did not pass. I need to wire it to my low beams. My muffler (original) has a tiny hole, so they flunked it as well. The truck is absolutely quiet, but I understand, and support the vehicle safety program. In Albany, GA we did not have a mandatory safety inspection. I can take care of the muffler, but need some immediate help with the wiring for the fog lamps. I had the Bosch wiring diagram for the lights, but cannot locate it. I have two wires hooked up to the fog lamp switch, one to ground and one to the relay. How do I tap into the low beams? Thanks in advance. In the interim, I will continue to look.

aba4430

Appreciate the feedback. I found my Bosch wiring diagram. The following are the connections I made:

1. Terminal 87goes to the fog lamps. The lamps are connected to a good chassis ground.
  2. Terminal 86 goes through a firewall grommet and to the fog lamp switch. I have a 2 position switch that came with the lamp kit. The other position on the switch is grounded.
  3. Terminal 30 gets power from the battery. The in-line fuse holder has a 15 amp fuse. I have my relay mounted in the engine compartment on the passenger side strut tower, using a small Stanley L bracket. You could also tap the fuse box under the dash for power.
  4. Terminal 85 taps into the low beam (right one on mine) headlamp. There is a 3-prong connector. I have tapped mine to the bottom horizontalish connector. I played around with my voltmeter and also checked which position got the fogs to turn off with the high beam.

I am thinking of also running a wire from the drivers side low beam (black wire with yellow stripe) and tapping it to the wire going to terminal 85. This may not be necessary though.

Regards,

Ashok

if it still fails the stupid safety inspections then i'd remove the fog lamps entirely, have it inspected and reinstall them afterwards.

Yup, that's what I used to do on my Sube.

Also, I would advise you, if at all possible, to make friends with a mechanic. I never get stuck for BS like this anymore.

I put on a Bosal OEM muffler today and a generic 1 3/4 tail pipe from Autozone. What ticked me off is that my original muffler did not have any holes, actually there was a little hole @1 1/2 inches after the muffler on the short pipe, plus a hole on the tail pipe. Anyway, now I take it back next week, give them another buck and get the inspection done.

Regards,

Ashok