Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof lining, how to re-glue it?

I have a 90' Liberty/Legacy. It's roof lining is falling down around the edges. Just wondering if anyone has a good miracle fix for this?

It's just cloth lining, so I thought glue might soke through it and look weird? Any ideas?

Cheers guys.

Not completely sure how well this would work for you, but I saw my brother do it in an old Dodge Charger that had that problem. He bought a few cans of that spray adhesive (it's actually just aeresol rubber cement); sprayed a good coating on both the headliner and the roof and let it dry, then carefully stuck it back up there. It seemed to work OK. Not sure if there's any adhesives specifically for this purpose. :)

i tried spary on 3M adhesive i saw recommended by others. didn't work a lick. i don't even think it lasted a month. dont have that car anymore so i don't know what to tell you. back in the day i had dowel rods pinned between the trim on p/s and d/s moulding to hold it up. looked real nice (nope, just kidding!).

The correct way to fix it is to remove the whole thing and sand down the lining board and then install new lining material to the board, with new glue. I had an old Buick done at an uphostery shop for around 150.00 dollars. If you dont want to spend money on it you can spray paint thumb tacks the color of the lining and use them to hold it up.

hmm... any other ideas? I will try that first one when I get the time.

The lining will be attacted to the panel board and should come out in one peice. I was not there when they removed it, but I think you just remove all trim panels around the top and remove the light fixtures, then if their is anything else holding it you should be able to see. Their should be someone here that knows for sure.

Does the roof lining come out attacted to another thing, so I could get an ok one from another car and put it in?