Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can I hook up the torbo

I was given and 86 EA82 motor with a trobo was wondering if anyway I can hook up the trobo on my EA82 mines carb

with out the computer. This motor has a cracked block or head water in oil. If not I will sell trobo and intake manifold ,exust pipe and all.

Thanks

Mike

Because the EA82T uses MPFI and has two inlet ports on each head you cannot put the EA82T manifold on you EA82. You would hook it to your carb, but there is a fair bit of modding, and you will most likely have to rejet your carb... Best bet is to sell the stuff, and then if you want more power put a Weber on it, or a EJ. Spending money on putting a EA82T in a EA82 or EA81 isn't really worth it.

BTW, water in the oil is probably just a blown headgasket. Very common with this engine. Blocks don't crack much if ever, heads tend to crack in the exhaust port in the divider between the port runners for the 2 cylinders (look straight in the exhaust port at the ridge of aluminum and look for coolant traces).

If you are planning to use the long block for your carbed vehicle, that really won't work either - as mentioned you need single port heads to run the carb manifold, and the engine is 7.7:1 compression - the carb engine needs to be 9.0:1 compression. It will have no power, and use a suck load of gas even if you change the heads (and you mentioned that yours might be cracked.

And have you investigated the possibility that the head gaskets are just blown? Carb EA82's almost never crack heads, and I've personally never seen or heard of a cracked block in any subaru.

GD

I've pulled three myself. Two turbos and one carbd.

I didn't believe it either until I actually saw the first one.

Yeah.. I've seen subaru motors (ea81's all through EJ25s) with holes in the block you could put your hand in. I know it's not the same as a crack.. but, yeah.