Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do with that donor sube...

I found an old loyale like mine very cheap... It is 100 yards from a barn I have access to, with the benefit of rolling it downhill to tear it apart in this barn-- This is stuff I want to save:

ECU

engine (all attached as well)

rear hubs

windshield

wheels

radiator

.. and that is about all

I am going to see how fast it takes to chop it in half with a sawz-all (small barn) to have room for engine and half the car. I got thinkin of the other half:

donorideajx7.jpg

I have seen this on several makes and model FWD cars for a trailer-- anyone done this with a sube? There is a powerful weight of heavier steel for 4wd behind rear seat, not sure if it is beneficial to attempt this.

Having cut a car in half vertically and horizontally, I can tell you...

It shouldn't take much time.:brow:

I cut the front off my car to remove the engine & tranny.

A grinder will do it much faster than a Sawzall.

There will probably be some points that a Grinder won't get to though.

There can't be much cost in making a trailer out of that car?

so...why not give it a shot?

was the car FI?? you might wanna grab the fuel pump too. if it was AWD, what kind of rear end did it have? i know some of these cars got LSDs.. and i thought i had heard that some came with r200 LSDs.. which are $$$ for datsun people. i know this, also being a datsun people. <-- schizoid...

i like the trailer idea :-) i saw an old VW camper van in the JY the other day that had a somewhat different camper top on it.. the dude had welded a complete beetle, backwards, on top of the van.. from just below the top of the fenders, up.. the windows were still functional, too.. :- ) both the van, and a beetle right next to it were in good shape, too.. restorable at least, and complete. it was sad, i love old VWs... :eek:

nah, leave the gas tank. and the fuel pump. set it up to be an alternate on road trips :lol: :lol:

For some of the trips that people take with their Subies... through the middle of NOWHERE... that wouldn't be a bad idea. Set up a system to transfer fuel from the trailer into the car (hose through the fuel filler cap on the side of the road would probably be the easiest, but you could rig an on-the-fly system if you wanted), and you'd have a quite long range.

-=Russ=-

i was only half joking.. my parents bought a ford E-150 van brand new when i was six, and that was the bus that drove my family around.. it had two fuel tanks, so to ME, any long range vehicle should only naturally have two tanks.

my buddy just put a 50 gallon tank in his chevy dually, under the toolbox in the bed.. two fuel pumps on it, one for the engine, one goes into a manifold that either fills the other tank, or hits a thirty foot long 1/2 inch hose.... mudfest, offroading events, someone out of gas, or a portable gas tank for generators.. (hurricanes, you know..) uncle chris is da gas man :- )

it is a fwd car, that is why I thought of it.. I also saw tiny pop-up campers even motorcycles can haul. this back half would be interesting to see unfold-- larger than some existing now. Hollow out underneath where gas tank is for more usable space, just keep shell of it and strut towers, rear axle mounts, etc. of course, keep the tailpipe hooked up:)

Thats a neat idea, make a camper out of it! i think you might want to replace the windshield with some sheetmetal and just cut off at the firewall.. you could keep the windows functional, and the hatch, and keep your overflow fuel tank intact.. but you would have to build some cross-member to go about there the gearbox sits on the length of the car.. but then youve got your tongue welde on, you could send two braces out to the jacking point or so, and have a place to mount a generator to power your window AC :banana: :banana:

THAT would be quite nice!! wow what a funny looking little thing that would be!! leave the roof rack intact, etc etc!! haul half a wagon behind your wagon!

... my parents bought one of these

http://www.kimberleykampers.com/kamper/action.php

Takes 2 to 3 mins to put up, and about 10 to take down with two people. So much better then a tent I reckon... Go for it!

That trailer is quite tough looking.. never seen one. does it have hidden gatlin guns and rocket launcher, a pop-up radar, enough food for the big nuke.. no doubt four wheel drive! :lol: (j/k)

If I had time, I would surely do something with the back half of a sube. Put a floor in way down low,after gutting some heavy steel and keep appearance of the back end of the car, make it real lightweight. I have a trailer sitting in my yard (not mine) from the back half of a 40's pickup, with an axle bolted to a wooden frame, bubbly fenders doin alot of work... anything is possible. The 85 year old owner just put creosold on the wooden bed floor treating it like his old days-- it is that old. An old sube trailered would go 50 sittin in the yard untouched. :)