Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine swap weight / frame strength question

I am considering an eventual VW 1.9TDI swap for my 1986 wagon. Can you say biodiesel Subaru?

The EA82 weighs 180lbs.

The VW 1.9 TDI weighs 300 lbs (dry weight).

Is it going to be safe or practical to put a 300-lb engine in an EA82 subaru? My feeling is that the frame would be OK and that I might want to beef up the crossmember.

I am not going to own a gasoline-engine'd vehicle for more than a couple more years. If I can swap in a lightweight turbodiesel engine I will likely keep my Subaru for a while. If I can't, I will probably move on from Subarus when the time comes.

I've been reading about the VW 1.9 TDI for a while now, and I think it's an excellent candidate for this purpose, but I'd like to hear from some experts about how the car itself will hold up... thanks a lot!

I've got WRX front springs, '92 Legacy GR2s :banana:

I have a feeling that it will handle the weight as well. The VW 1.9 is a cast iron block with an aluminum head, and I had expected it to weigh closer to 500lbs, based on what I'd read about other (although older) 4cyl diesels.

assuming you're keeping it longitudinal and having a second xmember to support the tranny, it'll be fine. if you're going all out and going transverse, you'll probably want to beef it up for the tranny weight aswell....but it doesn't sound like you're doing that...

biodiesel? or WVO?? biodiesel isn't an advantage over anything, unless you're trying to support the farmers and such...it's at least as expensive, and not as efficient. WVO is just as efficient as regular diesel, and typically free

wvo == ??

im assuming homemade "biodiesel" fuel.... but i dont think im familiar with the term. havent done alot of research, beyond knowing its a possibility.

ive often considered a biodiesel Datsun 240Z.. ou could lighten the thing up to about 2400 pounds, and they made maximas (same I6 block) with diesel engines... i mean, the datsun inline six is practically a mercedes motor.. nissan sent their engineers to germany in the sixties and they came back and took the OHC notes from that, and their OHV tractor motors, and barely avoided a few patent infringement suits, and built their first OHC motors.. so THAT would be one nice lookin diesel car, if you ask me.. but thats as far as my fantasies have gotten. no real research..

WVO= waste vegatable oil. Fryalator grease. Get the stuff that stays liquid at room temperature, filter it, and build a system to heat it in the car. I converted a 1984 rabbit over, then the injector pump shattered, the coolant leaked continuously, the belt flew off, chunks of rust fell out, basically it behaved like a real VW. It's sitting in my woods right now, I'll get back to it eventually.

There are many other diesels out there. The VW one's are the most common in the US, but in europe there are numerous varieties of engines. There is a diesel for any weight and power range imaginable.