Ultimate Subaru Message Board

prepping sube for california trip, NEED ADVICE

.... mostly regarding cooling, I will be down in some hot areas and the stock setup I know wont cut it for some of the terrain I will be traversing.

2 things I'm looking for:

1)Radiator, like a 2 row, aluminum or something? anyone have an idea what to look for for something that may adapt easily to a sube?

2)I have the stock electric fan, which I will keep, but I'm looking for a couple fans I can mount on the other side of the radiator. My friend has a couple flexlite electric fans on the front of his toyota radiator and I want to put together a similar setup.

and lastly is there anything else I should consider for my cooling system? or anything else in general? oil coolers? tranny oil coolers? this will be a fairly lengthy road trip (minimum 3k miles) and I'm working on getting everything in top condition before going anywhere.

btw this is an ea81 weberized 1984 gl wagon w/ powersteering(currently disabled)

any spare parts I should consider bringing other than a spare axle, spare belts, some oil, water, and 2 spare tires?

.... mostly regarding cooling, I will be down in some hot areas and the stock setup I know wont cut it for some of the terrain I will be traversing.

any spare parts I should consider bringing other than a spare axle, spare belts, some oil, water, and 2 spare tires?

Not sure what you will be traversing, but we do have oil and water here in California! I have been driving around here quite a while and so far made it with "stock" units. If your radiator is original or old it should be replaced due internal plugging and ineffectve fins which will not be overcome with extra fans.

Have fun!:banana:

1)Radiator, like a 2 row, aluminum or something? anyone have an idea what to look for for something that may adapt easily to a sube?

radiatorbarn.com sells a two row radiator for you 84 at like $115. Look it up.

However, what makes you think the stock single row radiator won't hold up? If its old, just get a new one. Its not like its a turbo or anything.

2)I have the stock electric fan, which I will keep, but I'm looking for a couple fans I can mount on the other side of the radiator. My friend has a couple flexlite electric fans on the front of his toyota radiator and I want to put together a similar setup.

Again, what makes you think the stock electric fan isn't enough? Its fine for your setup, as once you get moving, you don't need any fans. Its not like this is a turbo or anything.

If you insist on adding more fans, EA81s with A/C have a second low profile electric fan. Put that on too.

and lastly is there anything else I should consider for my cooling system? or anything else in general? oil coolers? tranny oil coolers? this will be a fairly lengthy road trip (minimum 3k miles) and I'm working on getting everything in top condition before going anywhere.

You'll be fine with the stock stuff. You only need a tranny oil cooler if your's is an automagic. You don't need an oil cooler, or anything else.

I always carry around a spare set of fusible links, and some other random fuses. Hate to have a fuse leave you stranded.

In order of importance:

- Get a NEW radiator. There is no 2 row option for the EA81 that I've seen, but a new stock radiator will do just fine. There really are no "other" options, as virtually everything I've seen or looked to buy is too tall. You could have yours rodded and resealed for about $60 too....

- Reduce your coolant blend to 30/70, or even 25/75. This is the blend recommended for "tropical" environments, and I've noticed that it helps cool the EA soobs tremendously better. Water is a much more effecient heat transfer medium than glycol

- For 20+ year old EA81 going 3k miles, you want at least these extra parts:

Alt/Water pump belt (duh)

Ignition Coil

Distributor

Extra fuses - at least 5 of each size used in the vehicle

Extra clean air filter (or your gauze filter cleaning kit)

Water pump and tube of RTV

Alternator

Front axle

One FULL SIZE spare tire (really no need for two if you have the next item)

Tire repair kit (ya know - the jerky sticks with the punch tools...)

1 gallon anti-freeze

1 gallon water

4 quarts of oil

1 quart of ATF

1 quart of gear oil

Tools (you should be able to actually USE any of the above parts, and then some - electrical tools, tape, butt splices, etc, etc. And at least enough tools to do a front or rear wheel bearing if you absolutely have to.)

Ok - for the fan - the other side of the radiator has threads already for the low profile EA81 AC fan. Foster had one lying on the ground near a red or blue EA81 wagon last I knew. I took the other one they had recently :grin:

GD

If you go for a new radiator, DON'T BOTHER WITH ALUMINUM RADIATORS. (Sorry for the "yelling", just wanted to make a point. :)) Aluminum, contrary to ricer belief, is a much poorer conductor of heat then copper, and corrodes in a more insulative way. Aluminum is used instead of copper because A) it is CHEAPER, B) it is lighter, and C) it is CHEAPER.

My 82 wagon with AC survived the CA Central Valley and Phoenix without any problems. GD's advice sounds pretty sound and thorough.

GD, BTW, they do make 2-row EA81 radiators. I happen to have 2 of them in my parts, and just checked to make sure that I wasn't talking out of my.. other orifice. :) .

If you go for a new radiator, DON'T BOTHER WITH ALUMINUM RADIATORS. (Sorry for the "yelling", just wanted to make a point. :)) Aluminum, contrary to ricer belief, is a much poorer conductor of heat then copper, and corrodes in a more insulative way. Aluminum is used instead of copper because A) it is CHEAPER, B) it is lighter, and C) it is CHEAPER.

My 82 wagon with AC survived the CA Central Valley and Phoenix without any problems. GD's advice sounds pretty sound and thorough.

GD, BTW, they do make 2-row EA81 radiators. I happen to have 2 of them in my parts, and just checked to make sure that I wasn't talking out of my.. other orifice. :) .

Been around too many EA82's lately.... I think that all the EA81 radiators were 2 row come to think of it. I knew there was something about them.... it's that you don't want a 1 row (if they even make them??). All mine are two row......

GD

• 3 weeks later...

got back tuesday evening... interesting trip. Cutting out most of the details and trouble I got myself in, I am truly amazed again when what my subaru is capable of. It is unbelievable how well a 22yr sube wagon will perform on rough/gravel roads, even at high speeds(tight curvey corners in excess of 30+mph). although it didnt do very good at all in soft sand with aired down tires, was dissappointing when I had it out on the beach. Was also in a few very sticky situations, one where I(completely accidently) ended up on a steep hiking trail I had no way to go but down, and another where I had to cross a reasonably sized mud pit w/ soft mud, sunk down into it almost to the rockers. A CV boot had ripped at somepoint and I got sand in there when I had it on the beach so that died fairly shortly after, and I did the front brakes at the same time cause one of the old pads had fallen out and completely disentigrated when it hit the ground.

all in all it was roughly a 4000 mile trip, and I averaged almost 27mpg on the highway going 75-80. I'm pleased, its not the most comfortable car for long trips but hauling all our stuff with some rough conditions it did very well.