Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found Mystery Sube from H*ll

I spotted an old rusty wagon looked like a Loyale- thought I'd go take a look. The sign in window said 88GL with "MPFI TURBO" - I'm thinkin " they made one of those?" It also said, "frame broke" (just like my old 87 DL I would imagine). I took a peak underneath and sure enough there was the exhaust pipe going across the front of oil pan. Would you pay 500 bucks "runs good" for the engine and ECU? It is unmodded as there is no intercooler in front or hood scoop. It sounds like something to go broke temporarily over :) . I have only seen one mpfi in my entire existence...

As baccaruda wrote, the engine could be in pretty sad shape. Turbo wagons aren't all that uncommon, though I guess we see lots more around the PNW than you see around Maine. Other goodies on that car will be rear disk brakes and just possibly an LSD rear differential. Which transmission did it have?

As baccaruda wrote, the engine could be in pretty sad shape. Turbo wagons aren't all that uncommon, though I guess we see lots more around the PNW than you see around Maine. Other goodies on that car will be rear disk brakes and just possibly an LSD rear differential. Which transmission did it have?

It may be a hack job(?). The brakes in rear are drums (I am fairly certain of it), and it had the pushbutton 4wd (I believe that was an option for the real 88 turbo). The bodies were horrible around here - all GL's and DL's.The paint gave no indication of any turbo - like trim, and decal on rear door or hatchback door.There was also no rails for roof rack up top - solid bendable roof (yikes- I could give a guess how it broke). From underneath it looked normal, nothing unusual leaking etc. That year had an unusually low compression for the mpfi turbo (7:1 -- the others I found were higher at 7.7:1, so it just may be worthwhile, not stressed all that much.)I'll give a call and see if I can at least here it run. The sale is very much indicating engine/driveline only, I'm sure the owner knows what mpfi turbo was to the loyale/gl/dl/generation and demanding the 500.As of now, I don't believe I can purchase, I found my car's twin instead.. if interested, it is on south main street, Brewer, maine.Will post how it runs, if I can find time. :)

• 1 month later...

(possible move thread?)

I passed this cars parking spot again, to see the owner tinkering with it. It needed a jump start so I helped him get it going. Runs very good and quiet. The unibody is indeed all done, non-repairable (the rear end is ripping away from the unibody, and up front "A-Frame" is busted, rocker panels, floors, rear quarters, etc.) 163k, new clutch (less than 1 year), mpfi turbo 5spd , pushbutton 4wd. Runs very very smooth, I revved it up to the rpms to find anything sloppy, no sign of it dying anytime soon.Not a single strange noise. I have volunteered myself to help him sell, I don't believe I can purchase and attain garage in time to buy it/take it apart. It is in fact all original oem. rear disc brakes, etc.Studded snows.

if interested, email me for owners number

bgd1973@hotmail.com

he was asked to move it from the spot in Brewer, ME to another location. Again its location is brewer/bangor maine area if interested in hauling for parts. $500 obo.It isn't going far I'm sure.