Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Go to Harbor Freight web site and type in manual tire changer in the search it will bring up a tire changer for around 50.00 dollars and you can add on a tire spreader for a few more dollars, and also a balancer for around 60.00 dollars more. I have all three and they are worth every penny. I can take a tire off and patch it and put it back on and balance it in just a few minutes why waste time and money fooling with a tire shop?

and remount? I dont have a lot of tools, so the cheaper/less tools required the better, at 0 psi I cant budge them and dont feel like going back to a shop and letting someone charge me again.

The BB's sounds like a cool idea. Actually I've put these dynabeads in four sets of tires. Right after I put them in I also switched to cylinder nitrogen in the tires (got the cylinder on eBay and got it filled at my local welding supply shop).

Anywho, after I put the beads in, the ride was glass smooth, I was pretty impressed. However this spring when I switched the snow tires back to summer tires on both Subaru's, the ride wasn't quite so good. I had a shimmy above about 60mph that wasn't there before on both vehicles. I don't know for absolute sure, but I think maybe the dynabeads gooped together with possibly excess bead sealing compound. I added more dynabeads to the shimmying wheels which did actually help but did not solve the problem.

I hear/saw on TV that the Hunter with roadforce is a great balancing machine because it balances both the inside and outside of the wheel with force on the tire. Not all balancers can give separate inside&outside balance indications. Not a big deal for narrower tires but can be important for wider tires --Louis :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record, this helped tremendously, and other than some swearing, it wasnt that hard at all. The hardest part was I broke one of the valve stems and had to get the tire all the way off to fit a new one. Vibration is down to almost nothing at 70 mph, and there is no internal rattling sound that I can hear.