Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone seen these valve covers?

I just received my JDM 2.5 DOHC engine and the valve covers have "DOHC-16V" casted into the valve covers.

Should obviously just be a valave cover change but maybe these engines had different head gaskets(new versions) installed from Subaru?

when the HG gets replaced it gets the new design

nipper

GOOD ANSWER!

I am ordering the overhaul gasket set either way from 1stSubaruparts since it's just not worth taking a chance on the HG's...just thought someone might have any info about the valve covers.

OK, so the engine maybe a 96 then..anyone know why this engine was rated at 10 horsepower less?

The '96 DOHC valve covers/heads have the raised letter casting you are speaking of.

My old '97 DOHC valve covers/heads did not have the raised letter casting.

OK, so the engine maybe a 96 then..anyone know why this engine was rated at 10 horsepower less?

I believe that the '96 was the only 2.5 with hydraulic lifters. There were a number of revisions to the cams, lifters, combustion chamber shape etc. in '97. I could be wrong about this, but I think '96 2.5 DOHC may have required premium fuel as well. Joe Spitz 's site has some info on this if I recall correctly.

Nathan

I believe that the '96 was the only 2.5 with hydraulic lifters. There were a number of revisions to the cams, lifters, combustion chamber shape etc. in '97. I could be wrong about this, but I think '96 2.5 DOHC may have required premium fuel as well. Joe Spitz 's site has some info on this if I recall correctly.

Nathan

96 required premium, after that they didnt.

nipper

I did a little research today and yes the 96 engines had hydraulic lifters vs solid starting in 97, they also revised the intake to achieve 10 more HP. I am swapping my intake onto the engine anyway so I'll have the new design and will see if the the lifters are hydraulic when I have the engine open for the new HG's...either way I'll probably leave whatever is in there alone.