Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving / Rally / Offroad Light Inspiration Needed

So I was driving the wagon up in the mountains this weekend at night after leaving some family that live up there. They live in a kinda remote place. The stock lights just didn't quite cut it, even with high beams on. Actually, I never have had a car that really made things easy up there at night. The Ford Tempo was the worst...

Anyways, I need some inspiration for some driving lights on the wagon. Here's what I'm thinking:

Convert the regular lenses to the DL twin light setup.

Make the outside ones just regular low/high beam lights. (The XT uses the same rectangle lights like this. Works fine for city driving)

Wire the insides as high beams.

Then, put another pair of lights on the bumper in the middle. I was thinking like Hella 500 driving pattern lights.

Anyways, what have you guys done? Also, how do you suggest to mount lights to the bumper? I noticed the bumper is styrofoam underneath the plastic...

Look into Light Force.They are made down Unda'.Alot of our friends from NZ and AU know how great they are.Adjustable beams and replaceable colored lenses.I am soon going to have some on my hatch.My brother that lives in Alaska is sending me some that he used to have on his mud runnin' truck.Tough as heck and you may like them better than Hella.

http://www.Lightforce.com/

There are holes in the back of the bumper. What I did was simply bend a piece of steel 90 degrees to mount the lights too. I just bolted them on to the back side of the bumper and they came out between the bumper and the grill.

Another idea is to switch the wiring around making the corner markers your blinkers and then putting some of those cheap lights from Schucks where the blinkers are now. I havent done it but I know a couple people that have.

Good luck

Brian

i have a set of kc daylighters on my bumper. i drilled through the bottom of the bumper with a holesaw for access to the underside hardware and used a rectangular piece of aluminum for each light to act as a giant washer. keeps the lights very stable.

I've got 2 hellas up front as you can see here -10.jpg I believe they are actually legal to use as high beams because they are so close to the hight of my stock lights. I'm looking at getting 2 more so I can do a rally 4 light pod kind of setup but just the two do a damn fine job of lighting up the road.

tosh, i like your hood scoop... so to speak...

but mike, the setup you were describing.. did you intend for the outer bulbs to function as low beams only, or as dual function, high/lows, with the inners as high beam only? so you have two low beams, and four high beams? or did i misinterpret, and you meant a standard two bulb setup with the addition of bumper height fog lights? because i was thinking about it myself the other day, and thought the outer dual function/inner high beam function would work well.. paired with some hang-down foglights from the bumper running on the road surface. that way you could have your low beam bulb adjusted to a good heaight for the low beam, and adjust the secondary high beam bulb (inner) to complement the function of the outer high beam.. then set the fog lights up to light the road surface (low beams) and you have complete illumination.. im picturing maybe adjust the inner high beams to a different direction or something to spread the light out.. then again, if you are off roading, maybe the hang-down idea might not be the greatest.. but pointing down at least.

anyhow, i think thats the nice, simple way to keep everything nice and tidy, but still get it lit up. i dont know about putting big driving lights in front of the radiator either.. but i use my AC alot, i live in south florida... so thats me. whether you like my thoughts on the setup or not, my vote is the four light method, with a single pair of driver lights. wherever, roof rack, hood mount, hell, bolt 'em onto the mirrors. that would be original. :banana:

Tosh: How'd you mount your lights? That looks pretty much what I want!

Daeron: You got the idea. 2 lows, 4 highs, but instead of fog lights, I want driving lights. I wanna put driving lights on the bumper, not fogs, and I don't like the idea of hanging down a 6 inch round lens. I need something that can light up a distance away. For fogs, I was actually contemplating the idea of some 2x6 fog lights hanging down on the bumper. I really don't do off roading. Mostly just dirt roads in the mountains. On nights where there's no moon, it can get pitch black out there.

As far as mounting them in front of the rad, I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. After putting a new radiator on, it doesn't budge above 1/3 on the gauge w/ A/C on in 90 degree weather. A little less airflow will be okay.

I saw some fog lights at the GI Joes tent sale a couple weeks ago that look like they'd fit perfectly where the turn signals are under the front bumper... just wire a couple small fog lights there and rewire the turn signals to the marker lights... nice and clean...

just be sure that you use yellow lights, they give so much better vision... all white does is make things too bright, with no clarity...

--Spiffy

heh. dumb feeling here. whats the difference between driving lights and fog lights then?

ive had a feeling for a LOONG time i needed to ask that question... i guess fog lights are probably more down-on-the-road, for, well, in the fog.. (fog only happens for the half hour of the AM that i scrupulously avoid down here in south florida.. and only occasionally at that..) and driving lights for off in the distance/periphery/filling any gaps?

anyways, i think with four lamps going on for high beams, you might not need the driving lights.. however, the outer single function bulb, staying on with your (inner only) high beams, combined with some driving lights, might also produce a good spread.. low beams on road, high beams and driving lights on rest.. i just think six beams might be sufficient. i guess its a matter of whether you want the "driving lights" (whatever lights you buy, yet another variable) lighting the low beam region, and having your four high beams to light the rest, or the low beam on the low beam region of the road, and two high beams and two driving lights on the rest. i just imagine the low beams well aimed, and stayiing on with high beams well aimed with a centralized bias, then some wide angle driving lights aimed high and wide...

i dont know, im just kind of going on for stimulation fof your own ideas.

I'll shut my trap now :banana: