Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would you guys pay?

I found this post on Craigslist and thought that it was way to high of a price but I don't know much about the older GL's. What would you guys offer? Here is the posting.

1984 Subaru GL 4X4 Wagon - $1695

My bad back prevents me from getting in and out of our Subaru. Even though it only has just under 180k miles, is a second owner car which has been serviced religiously, has A/C, dual range four-wheel-drive, power brakes, steering, mirrors, and windows, starts and runs faithfully, and is, after all, a Subaru, we have to let it go. It has some rust (being excised and treated) by the rear wheels, but the body is straight and the car could easily be restored. Oh, did I mention the extra studded snow tires-two on rims?

seems high for my area. then again it's in nice condition and if it suits your purposes it doesn't seem like a bad deal. they'll knock off a few hundred i'd bet. seems like old school subaru's have a decent demand in the PNW so that might be a factor as well.

Because it has power steering and A/C with snow tires, $1200 would be fair for this car if it were rust-free. I think that the quality of the rust repair job could affect the value a lot, obviously. We on the USMB are used to getting older Subarus at below-market prices, though. On a dealer's lot, this car would easily command what he's asking.

I agree, with all those options I would pay over $1000... but I'm a sucker for subarus... I wouldn't buy it just because of the dual headlight setup, but if it were pre-1983 then I'd buy it for over $1000... I don't think I'd go over $1200 either though... it would also depend on whether they have maintenance receipts...

--Spiffy

Because it has power steering and A/C with snow tires, $1200 would be fair for this car if it were rust-free. I think that the quality of the rust repair job could affect the value a lot, obviously. We on the USMB are used to getting older Subarus at below-market prices, though. On a dealer's lot, this car would easily command what he's asking.

if its in as good shape as it looks, I'd say 1000 is reasonable... however I paid less than $400 for both my ea81 wagons, so I wouldnt put out $1000 for one unless EVERYTHING mechanical was in perfect shape. My 84 had been sitting for a while but it was in incredible shape when I got it after I cleaned it up. That thing looks cherry and it doesnt look like something I would want to part with lol...

You'll probably hear alot of ppl say 400-800 for it but if its in as good a shape as the guy and pictures say its worth 1000.

That car looks cherry from those pictures. Working A/C sais ALOT! I think $1000-$1200 is fair. I paid $1250 for my '84 Hatchback and it doesnt have A/C, or power windows/steering. I paid $1100 for a '84 Wagon in that condition but it also didnt have A/C or power windows/steering.

That car is fully loaded. Looks to be in great shape. $1650 is too much, but I wouldnt kick myself if i handed over $1200.

-Brian

I agree with the $1200 or so mark. Maybe even a little more if subaru's are rare in your area. It's in nice shape to most of them I see here going for between $400 and $1000, and if everything actually works, that's good. The $400 ones especially need some work usually and the bodies are usually beat up and/or rusty:rolleyes: Take into account that most of the ones you hear people getting for really cheap here could more accurately be referred to as parts cars (at least two of my daily drivers were sold to me as parts cars...) This one is low mileage compared to alot too. $1,600 might be the dealer price for a $1,200 car....... but I don't often (never yet at least) buy at dealers.

Z

working AC says alot, huh?? i got a gl-10 for ya... its got "some" rust.. :rolleyes:

nah, j/k my car is terminal on the rust im afraid, i need to get some thorough pics and post em to see what you folks think. the shame is there is SO MUCH on the car that runs!! the factory cruise, perfect! the sunroof, almost perfect! speaking of which, if you know about the elec sunroofs in the GL10s, please, PM me, i have a couple questions... ive never worked on one but need to do some stuff with mine, the cover thing seems to have come off its track... but my AC works, the trip computer works, the digidash has no problems, but the chassis.. the rear glass is ready to fall out!! i can see the linkage between my trunk/gas door cable, and the lever it actuates, because of a huge rust hole in the body!! the little black trim pieces on the sides of the rear window.. yah, i didnt know what they looked like for almost two years. theres only even one square hole left unrusted on either side to retain the little retaining clips for them....

rust sucks. My car was Ziebart'ed too......:dead:

yeah, ea81's are classics:headbang:

$1200 seems very fair for the car. i bought my 87 rust free hatch with working a/c and cruise, no rust, very comparable to that car, for $500, but i paid another $600 shipping and put a tranny in it, so pretty equal deal.