Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I find out what engine this is and turbo or non? EMERGENCY!

I just recently aquired a,

1989 XT-6

I looked under the hood and saw an engine I've never seen before, then I looked on the hood and saw the sticker and wrote down the Engine Family Code.

KFJ2. 7V5FFM6.

I know its a 6 Cyclinder 2.7 H6.

I couldn't pass up a AWD Subaru with 130k Grandma Miles, she bought new Brakes/Tires/Replaced the Air Bag Suspension/Belts/Hose's etc.

Problem is she doesn't know if its turbo or not.

I don't have the book for the car, and I checked the odometer area to see if there was a BOOST Gauge and didn't see one.

Can anyone help please?!

the XT6 engine (ER27) was never offered as a turbo. it is all custom if you want to turbo that car. there is no easy way to do it.

you'll have to decide many things on your own since it's custom. stock fuel or stand alone? that's a big money item there. the stock fuel system sucks so if yo'ure looking for real power then after market is the way. you can add an extra injector of course as band-aid to the issue and make sure you're not running lean.

you want turbo pistons? the good news is that EA82T (4 cylinder turbo pistons) drop right in the XT6 since the XT6 engine is just an EA82 with two extra cylinders. bad news is that's a complete tear down and rebuild of the block basically. well you can swap pistons without tearing it all down but that's another topic already covered.

exhaust, intake is all custom work.

will all depend how much money and effort you want and also largely depends on what kind of horsepower you're trying to achieve.

which brings up another point....the ER27 isn't really a good candidate for a turbo. the better option is to just convert it to an EJ Turbo of some sort. better reliability, all sorts of after market support, higher output capability and would end up being the same cost probably. unless you're planning on a very inexpensive turbo build of the XT6 but that would probably not be very reliable unless you just wanted very low boost.

xt6.net is really slow right now, but all of this has been covered. hopefully that slowness issue gets resolved soon.

Yea so I've been researching, but I've heard some amazing things about the ER27 engine.

I'm thinking I'm just going to keep it Non-Turbo and just rally it out to death.

The handling on this thing is sick, I can't wait for the winter to come by. Its raining out right now so I'm going to give it a first time drive in the rain.

Any tips on some good +ponies? Will this XT6.net site have information and how -to's on making a cone intake? exhaust etc?

Hey... I figured I'd arrive and share. The Xt6 rocks.. I vote it the best of all 80's subarus (ohhhh!:eek: ) anyway, you should just keep her stock and fix it up.. a stock AWD will probably get about 80-100 hoorse to the ground, so thats not bad with the AWD.. but its got gobs of torque and its relativly maintance free once you settle into the issues it might have. Great fun to drive... and yes, I will be turboing mine soon... I was going to start last week, but its been very hot here recently and it was thhe only car I had with good working AC... but I fixed the Rx's today so... and theres a meet this week so next week FTW... I AM doing a cheap build like gary said, but I DO NOT agree that the ER27 is not a good choice for a turbo... Its compression iis not really that high(9.5:1) and I've seen EA82 "high compression"(9.5:1) turbo cars run a good amount of boost... hell, mike runs 7 psi on his XT with NO intercooler... stock everything, so I'm gonna do it.. and I'll get a dual controller.. 7psi daily, 15 psi race:brow:

I just recently aquired a,

1989 XT-6

I looked under the hood and saw an engine I've never seen before, then I looked on the hood and saw the sticker and wrote down the Engine Family Code.

KFJ2. 7V5FFM6.

I know its a 6 Cyclinder 2.7 H6.

I couldn't pass up a AWD Subaru with 130k Grandma Miles, she bought new Brakes/Tires/Replaced the Air Bag Suspension/Belts/Hose's etc.

Problem is she doesn't know if its turbo or not.

I don't have the book for the car, and I checked the odometer area to see if there was a BOOST Gauge and didn't see one.

Can anyone help please?!

oooo.............grandma miles!!!

sorry i'm a bit slow this morning,so please excuse me :grin:

I DO NOT agree that the ER27 is not a good choice for a turbo..
i'm with phil. he needs to define "easy", "turbo", and what kind of reliability he wants, and what kind of money he wants to put into this. otherwise we really don't know what he's asking for. i've made the mistake of assuming he's like the rest. most people that ask about turbo on the XT6 never do it, so i figured i'd save him the effort of searching. actually i can't think of anyone that has randomly piped up and gone through with it.

if you're going to spend close to the kind of money that you can buy a complete EJ turbo swap for then staying with the ER27 looses you horsepower but you keep the coolness and uniqueness factors.

can you turbo it? of course. i can turbo my lawn mower and go-ped.

is it easy? ME: "yes". MY MOM: "no."

are there bolt on parts for it: no.

isnt there a member of this forum whose name is Loyale 2.7 Turbo ???

he has a yellow loyale, and lives in south america.. his english is good, but not perfect.. i mean, he posts here and is readily understood, and im sure understands everything. but, could you hold technical discussions on a custom turbocharging setup via an internet message board??? i dont know... but do a search for his name. Loyale 2.7 turbo.. he posts occasionally, i dont know if he maybe doesnt get online everyday like some of us, or doesnt write too much or what. but he will show up, keep your eyes peeled. His avatar (the little pic next to his name on the posts) is a yellow loyale... like, corvette yellow. Loud yellow, with a capital Y, you know.. none of this soft, namby-pamby pastel stuff.

but its definitely a job, and if youve never owned or built a turbo car before, the engine seems fine but the vehicle might make it a bit more difficult than it could be. The Turbocharged Xt's were all four cylinder, EA82Ts, which can be coaxed into arguably, what, 200 horse??? but thats with questionable reliability.. you could also swap out a later turbo driveline into the vehicle if you wanted to turbocharge it, but that big pancake six doesnt really leave much under that tiny little sexy hoodline for a turbocharging system. sorry, its just pretty hard to do, which would probably end up costing you copious amounts of either time, or money.. or both, and stress to boot.. but it would be an AWESOME project that i would happily take on myself if i had all the time and money in the world........

so.. there? thats my answer.

dont need to turbo the xt6, the motor has tons of power and will easily run any other older subaru turbo or not.................dont destroy this rare car, ill buy it and you can go turbo a honda or something, xt6 are etting much harder to find and in good shape next to impossible, you can boost them but really whats the point, are you racing it or something?

(18 year old engine) + (unthought-through boosting) = handgrenade.

Drive it, enjoy it for what it is for a while, and THEN think about modifications. There are many engines that I would consider super-/turbo-charging, but not one that WHEN something breaks I would have a hard time finding replacement parts... like heads.

yah my dad blew a motor in his about twelve years ago... err,, more like fifteen.. gosh that awful...

but we had gotten a bad case of motor oil, blew the ford's 351 windsor, the xt6 motor, and our lawn tractor in one week.

and the only lawyer in town had a conflict of interest..

i forget the whole story, i have to ask my folks about that one.. i was like, nine...

but uber-expensive, not easy to come by.

its a fun car as is. enjoy it.