Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TPS wtf ???????

whats up guy's ok so the Haynes book says that on the EA82t MPFI TPS the signel wire with the key on is supposed to read .5 volts when the throtle is closed and up to 5 volts when the throttle is full open. But on all of our cars the wire reads 4 volts when closed and 1.5 volts when open we think that that is a misprint in the book what do you guyes think.

this might not mean anything, but the FSM's for the XT6 are not even close to being right. no TPS will adjust by the Subaru Factory books, so it wouldn't surprise me if other TPS specifications were correct.

best to adjust them by ear. turn it until the car starts bogging down and sounding like it's going to stall, then bump it just a hair back. that's where it needs to be. sounds rediculous but best way to adjust them and makes sense once you see how they work and how to do it.

there's a great write up about how to pull one apart and clean them up to smooth out some issues as they age. i think it's at http://www.xt6.net but maybe it was on here. xt6.net is really slow lately, that issue is being worked.

have fun,

thanks man, thats a trick that i've always done. see i,am having a high idle problem on my 87 RX and was testing the TPS. every thing else seems to check out. last night i seemed to fix it so i have to see. but we were wondering if the readings given by the book are wrong, it looks like they are.