Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me get my radio working! Please!!!!

OK, from the beginning.

I bought my 93 Loyale 4WD S/W with the stock radio and blown speakers, I then bought a wiring harness adaptor and faceplate from crutchfield. So, I went through the car, and changed in some marine Alpine speakers(they were free), I used the stock Sub. wiring. I also put speakers in the rear doors, because they were already wired for it(stock). I then bought 2 12'' R.F. Subs and an amp and installed that....I had all of this wired up to my 300$ Clarion ProAudio Headunit. Everything worked great for about 3 1/2 months. As I was driving home with my mom we had the radio turned low, and we were just talking....then the sound stopped coming from my radio? it still was lit up etc. though. So shortly after that I smelt something that seemed like burning, and I saw smoke coming out of my head unit, so I quickly detached the faceplate and it stopped, I noticed that the fuse for the clock/pwr seatbelts was burnt out because of this?

So a few days later, I pull out the head unit, see nothing out or the norm, and put it back, I also changed the bad fuse. So I put on the radio, and the only sound that I have coming out is to my Subs. So I just gave up and took out the subwoofer wiring headunit etc. and left the door speakers there.

Fast forward to now.

So I hook up wiring for a headunit, I try to put in our old CD player that used to be in our boat. It worked for about 15 sec. and then the saound mysteriously stopped AGAIN. I cant figure it out....So I try to hardwire a small speaker DIRECTLY from the headunit, and no sound comes out of that either! Sooooo, I try to hookup the expensive Clarion again, and try to hardwire the small speaker to that, and again, NO SOUND. So I pull out the stereo stuff and say screw it and give up. I then noticed that the SAME fuse is burnt out again, so I replace the 15A with a 30A.

Ok, so what are your guys' thoughts, ideas, tips, w/e? Why do you think that the clock/seatbelt fuse burns out, but NOT the radio fuse?

Maybe the wiring adapter you got from Crutchfield is not correct, or the wiring from the plug to the fuse panel is somehow wrong. I would trace the power wire back to the fuse panel if possible. Also the grounds are all common on Subaru's, the speakers need to be re-wired seperatly for them to work correctly.

u have a speaker wire short for sure. u can tell because he subs still played which mean the amp on the deck to power the speakers died. usually new cd players have a protection for this. but what u need to do is take all the speakers out, when u pull the speaker out do it slowly so u can look in the back of the speaker and see if any wire r touching metal either on the speaker or the door. or you could take a 12 or 14v battery for a drill take the speaker wires at the deck so theyre exposed and start at the first speaker by taking the 2 wires touching them to the battery and all of a sudden u will hear them pop "poping is good" but dont hold it on there. if 1 doesnt pop then its dissconnected or blown which can fry a amp. hopfully that all makes sense. i had a very long night. gf and i drinkin to much=trouble

:drunk:

You may not have a shorted speaker wire; our older subarus ground the speakers in a different manner; they're either grounded to the frame or they're grounded through the positive wire, I don't know which it is.

You can swap speakers in Subarus all day long, but if you add a deck that isn't stock, you have to run new speaker wires so that the speakers are grounded the same way the deck is.

Your speakers are probably fine but your deck may be toast. Crutchfield could reasonably have been expected to tell you this... best of luck.

i hope a 93 wouldnt have a positive ground system, but he could be right if thats the case run new speaker wire. but im pretty sure if it was nothing would have came out. who knows till u do some checking. if u dont know what positive ground is, its a old type of wire where they used the same ground for the whole speaker system "its just 1 big loop"