Ultimate Subaru Message Board

impreza's only....

tailgatewagon

i thought it would be cool to bring all the imps together for some fact tradeing and idea swaping along with fab junk and other imp only stuff....

there are so many threads that i thought we might consolidated some by makeing one thread just about imps.....anyway....

first off here is my car....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12355&cat=500&ppuser=679

its a 98 obs 5 speed with 99 OB stuts and springs(imp stut tops) in the rear and 97 ob struts springs and tops in the front.......

things im working on camber adjustment in the rear and ob legacy rear disk brakes....

also LSD for the rear... i have a 3.9 vlsd but would like a 3.7 lsd to do the swap with...

one note all 2000 and newer ouback limiteds and CW(cold weather package equiped) outbacks have LSD also all oback sedans... now autos are 4.44 and manuals are 4.11. i would assume all turbos are lsd also but havnt checked the books yet....

anyway there are a few of you out there what say you.

It's about sharing Imp offroading ideas. The idea is you post what you have done to your imp... If you have one.

Of course I have one.

I just cant figure out what tailgate is trying to ask so I can help.

And moderators, dont delete my posts without at least contacting me about it.

And moderators, dont delete my posts without at least contacting me about it.

They can do what they want :-p

As for ideas about imps... you can lift them body and/or suspension, put d/r trannys in them, you can put lots of bumpers and roof rack on them. Lights are always cool, along with skid plates, lots of those. I suppose you can also put bigger tires on them, and maybe even 14" steelies. If you've got an auto, and don't feel like dropping a d/r in it, you can ghetto-rig the solenoid C to lock up the clutch pack, giving your 'realish' 4wd.

What else... you can make them float, perhaps a snorkle, more lights, bettet exhaust... maybe more lights? I always thought baskets on top of imps is pretty hott... with a large tire in it...

That what you're looking for? a viscous LSD won't help you much offroad, unless you're rallying around... i'd prefer a clutch'd LSD myself.. Oh yeah, you can try to cram bigger diff gears in there to give yourself some better torque on those monster tires you're going to put in there ;)

Edit: oh yeah, put a CB radio in it, with a HUGE antenna :brow:

i have a 95 coupe, ob struts in the rear, forester struts up front, 27inch super swamper ssr's...soon to come:allied armarment lift kit + 5spd swap from a 97 OBS and herculinered interior.

why are you swapping to an EJ 5-speed? that would just make wheeling harder. the only reason IMHO, to go to a subaru 5-speed, is for the EA series Lo Range. but if you've got an EJ series car, it seems to me that an Auto would be muuuch better.

why are you swapping to an EJ 5-speed? that would just make wheeling harder. the only reason IMHO, to go to a subaru 5-speed, is for the EA series Lo Range. but if you've got an EJ series car, it seems to me that an Auto would be muuuch better.

the only thing that i can see as better i shtat you can tach up the revs and ease it into gear to get a little more power.

but other than that, you can keep an EJ auto in 1st and/or 2nd gear..

..at least that's what i do

the only thing that i can see as better i shtat you can tach up the revs and ease it into gear to get a little more power.

yep, just like in a jeep or yota....

my auto has really bad shudder. I also enjoy driving a manual tranny. I am always worried when i go mudding that i am gonna bash the tranny pan in. It is one step closer to a dual range 5spd.

I know i am gonna lose some benifits from the auto like torque multiplication...but for the time being i think its the best solution for ME outside of a dual range which is a whole nother bag of worms.

my auto has really bad shudder. I also enjoy driving a manual tranny. I am always worried when i go mudding that i am gonna bash the tranny pan in. It is one step closer to a dual range 5spd.

I know i am gonna lose some benifits from the auto like torque multiplication...but for the time being i think its the best solution for ME outside of a dual range which is a whole nother bag of worms.

ah....fair enough :)

Ya, thats the best option I think. Actually, the VTD 4EAT in the WRX and some of the newer Legacies is even better with a proper center diff...

(I did some rough road driving with a Forester using the 4EAT, and throwing it into 1rst/2nd made all the difference)

I'm not sure i'd want to burn up the clutch on a manual, that could get expensive... But there are more diff options for manuals. My trannsmission setup would probably be pretty good right now off-road (OBX Front Helical LSD, WRX rear LSD, 4.11 ratio RS tranny) minus the light weight flywheel/sticky clutch that doesnt like to go below 2000 rpms :P

the diff options are nice....but it doesnt mean squat to have good lsd's front and rear(cam or clutch pack) when the center diff is a weak viscous or even an upgraded viscous. I know cusco makes a 35/65 split tarmac center which is basiclli like welding the center diff...no diff action. MRT rally also makes a spool decive with the intention for turning the car rear wheel dive for the dyno and quite possibly "drifting" with the intention that one is going to remove the front axles.

The best option for us imho is the factory dual range. Its a tranny with a lockable center...which is key. The trick/splice for the 4eat is nice...but in reality it is bunch of clutches locked up rather than something lockable...meaning it wasn't designed for it. That and the auto gets hot, its fluid pan is readily exposed(mine doesn;t look mint anymore) and i dont feel like running an external cooler for the tranny...making just another thing to break.

I favor manual trannys offroad...in general, not just subaru specific. The auto does allow for more control over starts and throttle/brake manipulaiton. But i for one am willing to trade some of that for knowing if i go murk a mud hole...i dont have to worry about bashing the pan in on the tranny and not being able to make it out of the woods.(the north east has alot of mud).

Ya, dual range is the best total-off road option probably. Its probably the cheapest too.

Theres also the JDM Type-R 5-speed with the DCCD center diff... Or an STI 6-speed of course with the DCCD. I'd love to get a cusco tarmac diff in my car, but holy cow its expensive! :eek:

I have a friend with a 02 WRX auto with a tranny cooler and 2.5 shortblock swap... Makes for a rather good dirt road adventure car :) That pan could use some additional protection of course if you are doing more serious use with it.

some company does make carbon fiber armor for the newer wrx's. Primitive rally also does custom CF protection...the engine sump guard alone is about 700 i believe.

You can also use that MDPE(medium density polyeurothene?) but they usually just rivot it to the underside?...not sure how to attatch it myself.

With the manual trannies, no worries(alot less anyways).

I have a 94 imp wagon, with the 5spd awd, wich makes it a 4.11 due to year (and used to have an EJ18, now is EJ18/22 hybrid= EJ18 intake+exhaust, EJ22 longblock)

the stock 5spd AWD, is not low enough geared to do anything good offroad by comparison to the 4EAT or the EA 5spd D/R... especially with my 27" BFG AT tires :brow:

I would like to see some fabbing (at least more than whats available now) of lift kits (similar to the PK easy to install and just as high quality) and the adaptor kit (plate EA-EJ and flywheel and crossmember to match.)

other than that the bumpers, skid plates, roofracks, light racks are pretty simple fabbing that anyone should be able to do with some stuff from the scrap yard or local hardware store/home improvement center :D

here is my imp.. few shots, some of them out of date, but you get the idea :brow:

88760040-M.jpg

lighting kinda sucks, but you can see the metal bumper and pvc tube rack up top

88755973-M.jpg

need lift! need DR!