Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cooling and timing issues... '89 RX

My RX is doing a couple things that I don't really care for. I've fixed everything except for the following three items. First off, driving it for about 20 minutes to a half hour, the temp gauge slowly climbs to 3/4 and hovers there. She's running hot nonetheless and I suspect a bad thermostat. Second, idle is very poor most of the time. She'll idle ok sometimes for awhile, then stumble a bit and fall flat on her face. Sometimes she won't even hold an idle for very long, other times, she'll hold it pretty good. I do have my IAC hooked up if you're wondering. Third, she sounds like she has a miss. I haven't looked to see what could be causing it but I believe this is the cause of her idle problem, and I can hear it louder at higher rpms. I'm now running this combo

SPFI shortblock

gen 2 turbo heads

Delta 260 cams

XT N/A spyder intake

TD04 turbo

AFPR set at 40 psi

Nissan 280ZX turbo injectors.

Any thoughts?

Just Tryin´ to help with some Ideas, I think that engine has clogged / sticky injectors, (Dirty) and as you said, Bad thermostat.

So, I soggest to try cleanin´ the fuel system, startin´ with a good brand injector cleaner in fuel tank, and "in Intake" kind too. (Both at the same cleanin´ session) and check and change if nessesary the thermostat.

Due to the many electronic sensors on the SPFI systems, maybe rough idle is caused by the overheatin´ too (That changes the mixtre burnin´ propierties) and the dirty fuel system.

Well... Good Luck! :)

Dunno. My RX has had a stumble and miss for the past few months. I got under the hood a couple weeks ago, and wiggled a bunch of wires around. The miss definatly sounds like spark related, so i made sure all my ignition wires were seated properly. Then checked to make sure all the intercooler plumbing was tight and leak free. After that, i removed the disty cap and rotor and cleaned them up the best I could, and she ran alittle better after that. The miss has started to come back, and it really only happens at idle. Once im past 1500rpm she comes back to life.

Not sure if you have a new rotor and cap, or what condition your wires are in... but that maybe a problem. Im running 8mm Magnacores. They're great wires... i recommend them! But im thinking the RX is due for a tuneup. Once I have a hood scoop installed I wont be so worried to mess with timing.

Your problem sounds like maybe vacuum related if its as intermittent as you say. I would suspect a leak somewhere in your plumbing. Are you running a BOV or BPV?

-Brian

Yes, I'm going to get a can of Seafoam tomorrow on my lunch and do a quick through with the intake and put some in the tank. Just filled up with premium. I am running a BOV, not a BPV but the miss isn't great enough to be vaccum related it seems, especially with the large BOV I'm running. Brand new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I'm also going to recheck the timing to see if it is indeed spot on, also add back in a mechanical fan until I can get a second electric fan. Stock electric fan is a constant on right now, powered by a toggle switch mounted in my aftermarket stereo install kit. Got a saecond one and a potentiometer so I can regulate the second electric fan as far as on/off and speed wise. Overall though, she's running like a champ. Just have to button up a few suspension issues and an alignment but no worries!

I did drive her for a bit more this evening and she seems to be waking up more and more. :headbang:

Phils tip of the day: Leave that damn mechanical fan on it. change the T-stat and rad cap.

Other then that your car is questionable electronically... What AAV did you use? the spider on or the stock one? what comp are you running again? Did you actually buy new plugs? Have you actually checked the timing? Also, do you have any moniter on the fuel system, like a A/F gauge? is it running rich?

Phils tip of the day: Leave that damn mechanical fan on it. change the T-stat and rad cap.

Other then that your car is questionable electronically... What AAV did you use? the spider on or the stock one? what comp are you running again? Did you actually buy new plugs? Have you actually checked the timing? Also, do you have any moniter on the fuel system, like a A/F gauge? is it running rich?

Ok, I'm using the AAV from the XT intake and I'm using my stock ECU. Running 9.5:1.... whatever SPFI is. Yes, I did buy new plugs, cap, rotor, plugwires. I have checked timing. I am using a narrow band Autometer A/F gauge. Seems to be running about where it should be but since its a narrow band. who knows.... I think I have a spare mechanical fan in the shop somewhere....