Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 gl hatch off road

Jellef

hi all,

I have recently bought an 88 gl hatch and i want your advise. I want it to be a competent offroad machine without completely sacrificing gas mileage and its daily practical function. I got a pretty good deal on it ($400) and it only has 131,000 on it. I am relatively new to subaru modding, so please keep it simple. I was thinking of doing a weber conversion, new tires (size/type?), and a lift. Did i miss anything? Should i get lsd? Again, im a noob and want to keep the car semi-practical. Lastly, would an aftermarket exhaust pipe lower hp? Should i concern myself with the rust on the back pannels (its kinda bad)? thanks!

Dont bother with the LSD. Get the rear diff welded. Just remove one rear axle when on the street. Check out my Gallery to see my Hatches.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&page=3&ppuser=96

+1 - LSD's are for street. They suck off-road. And don't bother with AT's - they don't self clean in this neck of the woods.

GD

I, for one, like having my LSD. you don't run nearly as high a risk of breaking stuff (like diff stubs) as you do with a welded. and it still gets you an extra push. and, if you're making quick wheeling stops, or do alot of driving in the snow, you still have shift on the fly 4WD....

I wouldnt run a weber.. but thats just me and my experience with a few of them.. (didnt like any of the ones had.. I went back to hitachi stock carb, and then to MPFI aka EJ22 :brow: )

where in Seattle are you? you should come check out the subaru repairs/mods going on in Brier on saturday/sunday (prep for WCSS8 for my impreza and a buddy's brat)

lemmy know if youve got time and want to hang out :burnout:

where in Seattle are you? you should come check out the subaru repairs/mods going on in Brier on saturday/sunday (prep for WCSS8 for my impreza and a buddy's brat)

lemmy know if youve got time and want to hang out :burnout:

I live on greenlake.

I work nights, but i would be down if we go mid day. Call me at 206 388 8035. thanks for the invite!

Hey I bet I saw you and the Hatch the other day at the intersection by Greggs bike shop. Is it burgundy/dark red? Looked like Qman's old rig.

Mines a rusty silver hatch. But the blue interior matches my brat! This will be nice if i ever do a restoration for the turbo brat. Also, my hatch came with the cruise controll. That makes me happy!

On topic though... For the money, would these get me by for a while until i get around to lifting my hatch? http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/195308706.html

I know they are a little small and they are AT, but would they be worth it for beginner wheelin'?

Mines a rusty silver hatch. But the blue interior matches my brat! This will be nice if i ever do a restoration for the turbo brat. Also, my hatch came with the cruise controll. That makes me happy!

On topic though... For the money, would these get me by for a while until i get around to lifting my hatch? http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/195308706.html

I know they are a little small and they are AT, but would they be worth it for beginner wheelin'?

Heh - you wouldn't even be able to get those on your hatch without a lift. They may seem small to you, but those are about 29" tires. You would have to do a lot of beating and cutting to mount those WITH a lift. I have 5", and I'm running 28's with only minimal rubbing. Still had to cut and beat to get them on.

AT's are useless - might as well be running street tires. The thread fills up with mud and turns them into a big slick mess. Good for desert racing - that's about it.

GD

u mentioned getting a weber.....they can be awesome carbs....but i kno for a fact that ur sayin bye bye to gas mileage.

That's completely untrue. It's got nothing to do with the Weber. I've owned three stock subaru's with Weber's on them. 2WD I got 33 MPG, 4WD I got 28 MPG. Very consistent. As with anything you have to know what you are doing when you install and tune it.

My lifted wagon with a Weber gets about 20 - 22 MPG. It has nothing to do with the carb - it's the same carb it had when it was 2WD and getting 33 MPG. The difference is in the tires, higher rolling resistance, and worse drag. Many people also forget that you have to compensate for the odometer being off (14% or so in my case) when you calculate miles traveled and use it for calculating MPG.

GD

About the tires, would the peugoet 505 15" rims be a good choice for my rig? I want a balance between fuel econemy and off-road ability. They are only 6" wide. Will this be bad for off road? Should i just drill out some chevy 6lug rims?

will these work for a good start w/o lift and are they worth the money?

Four like new Cooper Weather Master S/T studded snow tires, P195/60R15, used only for one winter trip to Eastern WA; four good used Cooper Cobra GTH 87H, P195/60R15; six Peugeot 505 stock alloy wheels; all for $200.

About the tires, would the peugoet 505 15" rims be a good choice for my rig? I want a balance between fuel econemy and off-road ability. They are only 6" wide. Will this be bad for off road? Should i just drill out some chevy 6lug rims?

i have some cheap 14" pug alloys (cheap because les schwab says 2 of them can't be balanced), and 5 destudded snow tires

i drove them as they were for 6 months... just some wobble

That would be a good start. Just pull the studs. They'll make good all around tires, something to hold you over till you lift your hatch and put some proper tires under it.

i have some cheap 14" pug alloys (cheap because les schwab says 2 of them can't be balanced), and 5 destudded snow tires

i drove them as they were for 6 months... just some wobble

no thanks andy! I need somthing practical for the road. Did you ever sell your rc brat?

Pug alloys are ok, but not a great idea for off-road.... older alloys of any kind are a bad idea for off-road really as they can crack, and when they get bent they are difficult to repair. If you bend a steel rim it's easy enough to pound it back and re-seat the tire to get you home. If you smack an alloy against a rock you will bend it and likely cause a crack - best case you have to search all over creation to find a matching replacement - worst case the crack fails catostrophically at freeway speed....

The chevy 6 lug rims can be had for $25 each brand new shiny....

But those pugs are alright for street, and you can always put those on your Brat...

GD

Yeah I agree with Gd. Webers have Low Idle Circut. Which conserves gas alot, and helps engine run At lower RPMS hense better gas milage..I will agree,that with a weber Its easy to get carried away and have a heavy foot thats for sure... It sounds like a dam weedeater. or one of those 2 stroke scooters hahahhaah, even a lawnmower lol