Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best way to flush an auto tranny

Service facilities offer a "power flush" which will change all of the fluid at once. It is pricey (around $60-70) and I have heard (on USMB) that they might not do this for Soobs.

I do the "change and repeat" myself, but that is because I am cheap. :grin:

I drain and fill and then pull the return hose off the radiator. Run a hose into a gallon jug and start the engine. Pour fluid in the trans at the same rate its coming out into the jug. When you have clean fluid coming out the radiator cooler, you have flushed the trans. It takes about 3 gallons for a complete flush. Check out www.bossproductsusa.com for a great trans filter. Larry

...power fliush (fine for subarus, i dont know where people hear these things sometimes that it is not)...

A member mentioned that they had been told that it couldn't be done (at a Jiffy Lube-type place) and I haven't read anything from someone who has had it done. I am assuming that you have had it done, so now we know! :)

A member mentioned that they had been told that it couldn't be done (at a Jiffy Lube-type place) and I haven't read anything from someone who has had it done. I am assuming that you have had it done, so now we know! :)

hehe jiffylube did mine (i trust my local jiffylube.. others i dont) and there were no issues.

nipper

The reason you do not want a jiffy lube or cheap place to do it is they use cheap machines that push way to much pressure through your tranny and can damage it. I rear shop uses the cars own tranny pump to flush it.

I would never let the morons at jiffy lube even check my spare tires air pressure, let alone change oil or flush a tranny!!

I have owned very few auto tranny subarus. What is the best way to flush the tranny of my brothers roo?

Is it best to drain and add, then repeat?

Or is there another(better) way?

I was quated(Tuffy Service Center) a price of $140.00 to power flush my Forester, moreover, this included a new filter.

John

I was quated(Tuffy Service Center) a price of $140.00 to power flush my Forester, moreover, this included a new filter.

John

Jiffy lube was 99.00 for mine, no "filter" as soobys dont have filters, just a screen that is good for the life of the tranny.

nipper

For what it's worth (possibly not much -- I've never owned an AT equipped car)...I've always heard that a power flush is a huge can of worms, and can F up your AT in a big way, especially if it's high mileage. Something to do with contaminating low-tolerance parts with metal filings/sludge. A good friend had his AT go irreparably south immediately after a power flush (Ford Taurus though...). Best to do the passive drain and replace, perhaps a couple times in a row -- at least from what I've heard.

However, nipper's knowledge/experience surely trumps my own, so take my advice with a grain or two of salt. YMMV!