Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i used the holes that were there for mounting the bumper cover.simply drilled a bit bigger hole to fit the bolts through..

9465top_view.JPG <---(click)

see the holes..

of course i had to mod the grill to fit around the lights

9465all_finished_top_side_view.JPG <---(click)

BTW-the lights i used,sucks....

are they very deep? or do they have a low profile to them?

if you go my route and use the holes that are there,you may have to still do some slight moding to the grill.

i should of saved up for a set of hellas instead of spending $20 on a set of walmart specials..

Hi nipper. I like the lights near the bumper too in case I want to strap plywood to the roof rack. I put some KC Hilites on my '96 Legacy by using a piece of angle aluminum and some Stanley L brackets and mounting the lights to the angle aluminum. This is the only pic I have handy right now; I can take a close up pic of just the lights later tonight if you're interested.

profilepic19886_1.gif

I've posted this a few times before:

dsc01554la3.th.jpg dsc01553eo6.th.jpg

dsc01565lj1.th.jpg dsc01802zp6.th.jpg

dsc01809yr2.th.jpg

dsc01563lp5.th.jpg

They vibrate slightly but it isn't really noticable. I was going to make new channel shaped mounts to get rid of it but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

I have four bolts about 3" long on each plate that go through the bumper. I managed to install them without taking it off by reaching through the front with a wrench.

The most important part is to aim everything properly. I had them aimed in the right general direction for awhile and then went to a parking lot with a level and some tape. Having everything aimed properly per Daniel Stern's instructions made such a huge difference. I also have Xtravision bulbs for the headlights which I like. I might eventually up the wattage a bit all around (I hear the FF1000s handle a 100w bulb with no problems), and run relays to my headlights.

There is a good light bar for legacies. I just can't find it at the moment. I think it's much cheaper to build your own though.

It's really not worth it to buy a set of cheap lights. My FF1000s were ~$100 shipped from rallylights.com and put out much, much more light than my clear lenses and good bulbs. It is a fantastic deal and I would not spend less than that on driving lights.

This week I'll go somewhere dark and take pictures using the same shutter speed to compare low - high - high with DLs.

Another important thing is they have to be at a certain height and wired a specific way. The only way mine go on is when the switch is flipped and I turn on my high beams. It's nice to just be able to flick the brights and have everything come on. And that's how it legally has to be.

I got my driving lights, Hella FF200, and yes they are slightly oval.

This is about where i would like to mount them, but i get the feeling there is a big chunk of steel right under the bunper skin.

nipper

No, it's a big hunk of plastic. Take off the bumper cover and you'll see that the actual bumper is a layer of styrofoam and a rigid plastic (ABS? PVC?) bumper bar. It does the job, and drills/taps with no problems. I just installed some smaller Hella fogs on the underside of the bumper, almost opposite where that photo has the driving lights. No problems, yet....

Progress

Driving lights are mounted, i mounted them right to the bumper skin. :banana: Shockingly they are tight. At some point ill taxe the skin off and bolt them properly.

Air horn. You know there isnt a hell of a lot of room under that hood.

The horns got mounted in front of the radiator behind the grill. Unfortunitly i had to mount the compressor there too. There was a spot next to the battery, but i wanted to keep that fairly clear.

Next to the battery i have a mounting plate with three relays

Lights arent aimed yet

Rear fog light isnt here yet

Horn isnt hooked up yet (and not happy with the quality of the compressor)

now i have to polish my headlights, they look bad next to the Hellas.

once all is wired i will post pictures (somewhere)

nipper

OK all the nounting is done. My Dr yelled at me so i have to take a few days off before i wire the tail light. Also are pics of the idrive controller, scan gauge, and the driving/fog light switchs. Its located in the album called nipper

(damn digital cameras pick up every spec of dirt)

nipper

Schweet nipper, everything looks nice. I like that scangauge mount location, I think I'll have to try that but I have the old tech scangauge... The lights look hott.

Maybe I missed it, but what is the item between the center air vents? :D

MUHAHAH thats a harmond kardon idrive. It's an ipod controller and interface. i got it on ebay for 70.00 (usually 160-200). Thats the display, the control wheel is mounted on the console.

nipper

Everything is wired, man that rear fog light is bright... pics arent the best but

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=917

The driving lights arent diriving lights, but the arent fog lights either. They must be cornering lights, which is even better, otherwise known as midbeams. They through a lot of light off to the sides and almost as far as the high beams.

i'm happy.

Air horns are hooked up to, but im sort of disapointed as they arent as loud as i wanted. It can be that they are very directional, and there arent many places to mount them properly in the outback.

nipper

Everything is wired :banana: , man that rear fog light is bright... pics arent the best but

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=917

The driving lights arent diriving lights, but the arent fog lights either. They must be cornering lights, which is even better, otherwise known as midbeams. They through a lot of light off to the sides and almost as far as the high beams. :headbang:

i'm happy.:clap:

Air horns are hooked up to, but im sort of disapointed as they arent as loud as i wanted. It can be that they are very directional, and there arent many places to mount them properly in the outback.

nipper