Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine #2... done I think

I think I blew the ring lans on this engine. Yay.... fun fun. So check out my ad in the marketplace. I'm done, I'm out, lata EA82Ts.....

I was running 7psi of boost, ran the car for about 500 miles of around town driving, started getting on it and I think it just decided to let go. I was actually running a bit rich but it didn't seem to be too big of deal.

... Hang on, are you going to get a Leg, or replace the EA82t motor with a Leg NA motor?

Replace the car with a Legacy. The only way I'd do another engine swap is A) I get a smokin deal on a rebuilt, stock shortblock EA82T, or B) I get a smokin deal on a Legacy turbo parts car so I can convert it, plus some help from fellow board members to get it together. Anymore, I want to have a car I can jump in, start up, and drive away without having to worry about babying it, or hoping it starts. Winter is coming and I'll be damned if I ride my mountain bike to work this winter. I've been here through 2 winters already and both have been hell. First winter, I was getting a ride to work and then walking home in the snow, an hour walk. Last year, I was riding my $800 mountain bike to and from work, even on the coldest day -20 degrees!:eek:

I understand completely... newer cars are so nice when they just start and drive.. I personally couldn't own a nice newer car right now as I would want to mod it, then it'd be as bad as what I have. Modding is what gets you in trouble most of the time.

Good luck with the Leg, wagon or sedan? I like the sedans more.

Replace the car with a Legacy. The only way I'd do another engine swap is A) I get a smokin deal on a rebuilt, stock shortblock EA82T, or B) I get a smokin deal on a Legacy turbo parts car so I can convert it, plus some help from fellow board members to get it together. Anymore, I want to have a car I can jump in, start up, and drive away without having to worry about babying it, or hoping it starts. Winter is coming and I'll be damned if I ride my mountain bike to work this winter. I've been here through 2 winters already and both have been hell. First winter, I was getting a ride to work and then walking home in the snow, an hour walk. Last year, I was riding my $800 mountain bike to and from work, even on the coldest day -20 degrees!:eek:

so your giving up on the rx? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek::eek:

well she still runs but I think my problem is fouled plugs, due to oil. I believe the oil is getting pulled through, past the rings because my fuel pressure may be too high for me only running 7psi of boost. Currently, I'm running 40psi of fuel and larger injectors. I need some help since this is mainly the first EA82 I've ever worked on, modified, and tuned. I'm used to carbs, gen 1's and the sort. So, if any of the Denver guys wanna coem up and help, give me a shout, most of you have my cell number. I don't want to give up entirely but its getting so frusterating to the point that I do.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. return the EFI to stock, injectors and all. reset the ECU. Then, realise that when you rigged the PCV system, you did it wrong and theres your blowby.... Did you plug the intake side hoses? did you plug the PCV? Did you connect the two valve covers? If you broke a ring land.. you'd know it. You just need to stop focusing on building power ATM and go back to basics... like idleing. I doubt its really broke, just check it over again, you just need to shake out the ol' scooby goons

I am running a FPR Rob and I had it set to 40psi. I'm going to keep with the larger injectors but return the fuel pressure to 34psi or so. I'm going to hook up the passenger side valvecover to the PCV valve, the driver side will have a little filter on it, if that setup works. I'm also going to replace my plugs with some new ones I have and we'll see how it goes from there. You're right Phil, gotta stick with the basics before I go all out, just tried to get ahead of myself I guess....:rolleyes:

it can be hard sometimes. thats one of the toughest parts in learning to be a gearhead is not stepping ahead of ourselves.. i was ready to have an aneurysm yesterday over a simple toe-in problem, because it was so out of whack it looked like my camber was off.. which is impossible (to adjust, anyhow.. not to break:LOL:)

good luck, i hope it works better than your first nightmarish thoughts... In my experience, its (usually) the case...

it can be hard sometimes. thats one of the toughest parts in learning to be a gearhead is not stepping ahead of ourselves.. i was ready to have an aneurysm yesterday over a simple toe-in problem, because it was so out of whack it looked like my camber was off.. which is impossible (to adjust, anyhow.. not to break:LOL:)

good luck, i hope it works better than your first nightmarish thoughts... In my experience, its (usually) the case...

Thats funny, my tattoo has "Gear Head" in it. I know the feeling bud, been there a few times, just not anytime recently. When I first got into Subarus, I was dealing with gen 2s and gen 1, and no fuel injection. Now the fuel injection and timing belts, along with the stuff to go with it, is a little different. I feel pretty ood about myself that I was able to get it this far. Now lets see if I can get it road worthy enough to drive everyday!:headbang:

So since she still runs, I decided to work on it today. Hooked up my PCV system wrong again so I had some major blowby. My narrowband was saying at 35psi, that I was running just under rich, nowhere near being lean. Put a new t-stat in it and a new radiator cap but still overheats like a mother. Ugh, this is getting to me bad, I just want to be able to get into it, start it up and drive it away, no problems....:mad:

okay.. this is an ea-82T you said. the partial FSM covers turbos as well, doesnt it? I have known datsun people who have sworn that they have walked up to cars that have sat in pastures and fields for 10+ years, and gone through and checked every component test listed in the Datsun FSM, (we are talking 280 Z and ZXes here..) and once he got them to pass all checks, cranked them right up. have you systematically checked each of the FI system components for correct functioning? i realize that sounds like a bear, but if you set to it as a single given project, read through each procedure twice before hand, do the skull work and get everything ready first, its NOT as hard or laborious as it might seem. i really have no technical advice to give you, since your in the Land of Turbocharger, whereas I have remained here in NAville, and thus am out of my league. BUT, it seems like that might be a good way to step back and reanalyze your problem.. and it could help shake something loose in the brain, too.

try to confirm any readouts from stock gauges as well.. and if you could invest in a wideband o2 sensor stoichiometer setup, that might be a worthy cause to follow up on too.

good luck.