Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can speculate that they left the switch in the Duty C solenoid OFF position, which ties the rear wheels in with the 50-50 split at all times, which will cause both torque bind and excessive heating of the clutch pack if all you do is drive on dry hard pavement. That would be enough to fry a clutch pack, eventually, maybe.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can speculate that they left the switch in the Duty C solenoid OFF position, which ties the rear wheels in with the 50-50 split at all times, which will cause both torque bind and excessive heating of the clutch pack if all you do is drive on dry hard pavement. That would be enough to fry a clutch pack, eventually, maybe.

no maybe, will do it really fast, especially if you live someplace with alot of curving roads. It would be the same as driving with flat. Only in this case you would prorbably fry the clutches in a tank of gas, where as a flat does it quickly.

nipper

Yeppers, I was definitely thinking of that scenario in configuring my switch. I definitely don't want to bump it "on" and my cover makes it idiot proof.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12961&limit=recent

Yeppers, I was definitely thinking of that scenario in configuring my switch. I definitely don't want to bump it "on" and my cover makes it idiot proof.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12961&limit=recent

i was thinking a pushbutton on/off controller with indictaor and a drop out relay. This way The relay drops out whenever you shut the car off and even if you do leave it on accidently it resets itself on restart.

nipper

Ah, like the cruise control switch/relay? I certainly could forget to turn it off.

But would you more likely be turning it off when you leave the vehicle or on the fly after getting clear of a rough patch or from a snowed in parking spot?

depending on frequency of use this winter-would this move up the interval for a tranny flush? any conditioners that would protect the clutch pack?

Have you ever had the AT light come on with it engaged (temperature ?)?

And what is this about the shift resistor-you mean I eliminate that jolt from 1st to 2nd?

jon

Snow and blowing snow advisory in Colo Mtns today :D with 8 inches in spots

i was thinking a pushbutton on/off controller with indictaor and a drop out relay. This way The relay drops out whenever you shut the car off and even if you do leave it on accidently it resets itself on restart.

nipper

i like to change mine fairly often. 30,000 or so, good insurance. don't know of any way to qualify that though, that's just what i do. i use regular Valvoline, if you're using some high end synthetic like Red-line you might not want to change that often.

like benebob always says, best bet would be to install an ATF temperature gauge. if it's riding high (i think 200 - 210 is high for ATF), then think about changing it more frequently.

i've left mine on many times. it's obvious that it's binding though, so i turn it off right away. i have a 2 pole switch with a light wired in with it, so i can tell if it's "On" (well, er uh, off, you know how it works). easy to miss during the day though with the sun bright. i notice the binding and turn it off. no problems yet.