Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loud Popping after new axles

I just installed two new axles on my 90 loyale. After I installed them the car felt a little different under acceleration, it felt like something was shuttering slightly. Its been about 2 weeks now and there is a reacurring popping that I beleive is coming from the outer passenger wheel/hub/axle assembly. I can feel the popping through the brake pedal and it is quite loud. The strange thing is that it is reacurring but not consistent and has not been of to much concern to me until now. Last night driving home from work I was about to pull over and call a friend for a ride but it calmed down, now today I drove it around the block to try and figure out what it might be and it was harldy making a noise. When I would down shift roughly and let the clutch out the shaking of the car would cause the pop again but it was nothing like last night. Could it be wheel bearings? I think mine are old. Any help would be much appreciated.

Make sure the washer that goes between the cone washer and the axle nut isn't on the wrong way; it's got a curve to it .. I can't recall which way it goes right now though. I think the curve should point inward, so the axle nut catches the edges and the cone washer receives pressure from the curved side... someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

I had that same problem some time ago..got a torque wrench and tightened the axle nut 150lbs..no more bang..

I just installed two new axles on my 90 loyale. After I installed them the car felt a little different under acceleration, it felt like something was shuttering slightly. Its been about 2 weeks now and there is a reacurring popping that I beleive is coming from the outer passenger wheel/hub/axle assembly. I can feel the popping through the brake pedal and it is quite loud. The strange thing is that it is reacurring but not consistent and has not been of to much concern to me until now. Last night driving home from work I was about to pull over and call a friend for a ride but it calmed down, now today I drove it around the block to try and figure out what it might be and it was harldy making a noise. When I would down shift roughly and let the clutch out the shaking of the car would cause the pop again but it was nothing like last night. Could it be wheel bearings? I think mine are old. Any help would be much appreciated.

yep, sounds like telltale loose axle nut sounds. even if it was good and tight when you first put it on. it'll 'settle' some after driving it, so it'll need to be retorqued. check both of them too. if the sound continues at all, pull the hub off and make sure that running with the axle nut didn't damage the splines on either the hub or axle.