Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL with broken tie-rod?

Hello

I saw an 83 GL 4wd on the side of the road with it's front driver's side missing.

I called the owner, and said I could have the car. He said he was having axle problems, and the wheel fell off. He said the wheel went to the other side of the road.

I put the spare tire on, and drove it about a mile, when I noticed that the tie-rod was not connected on the bottom.

Does this sound common?

Thanks

Identical actually - except possibly for the brake rotors and calipers (vented vs. non - got changed mid-83), the strut top is turned backwards on the 2WD (it's marked which way it goes), the strut cartridge is non-adjustable, and the spring is different. As far as the tie rod, knuckle and all that it's the same.

GD

I towed the car with a toe dolly.

In the process the drive shaft came out. (This an automatic)

ANy idea of much work is involved now?

My second question deals with manual transmissions. Was there a list somewhere of which one was used for certain Subaru's?

• 2 years later...

UPDATE:

I replaced the ball joint, and CV axle.

And drove the car. Not bad for sitting for 3 years.

I like the car because it has 125,000 miles on it.

So the rear bearings need to be replaced. I did a similiar rear bearing job on a 1990 Subaru Loyole. http://www.evalbum.com/2629

Anyway in this 1983, I do not see any rear coil springs?

Can someone let me know if they are supposeded to be there in a 1983 Subaru GL Wagon.

If they are missing perhaps that's why the bearings went, or someone couldn't get them back on in trying to do the repair?

Thanks!