Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is "highest mileage" world record?

old mercedes diesels can and will reach 1,5 million km's, especially in the old eastern germany and poland/russia were they use them as cabs (from 1960 till now :headbang:), they just keep on driving them...

Here in sweden we also use MB's as Taxicabs, during my studentyears i drowe taxi and one of the cars i used to drive was a 200D from 1988, it was in 900'000 Km on the original engine and tranny. And a 300D Lange (stretched) had past 1'500'000 Km in less than ten years.

The ordinary cab in my area run about 150'000-200'000 Km every year, so it did not take so many years to have serius miles on them. Service intervals whas short, oilchange in tre-four weeks :):clap:

I mostly drove Citroen XM tho, and the ones whit manual transmission often passed 1'000'000 Km and the Automatic ones had trubbel whit the tranny auround 800'000 Km.

A man with a 80 somthing Pontiac 6000 Reached over 500k on the original 3.1 MPFI V6 and 3 speed auto. Theres a site somewhere talkin about it

Oh GOD!! my landlord used to have one of those.. that thing was AWFUL.. but he bought it with neglecting it in mind. the first thing he did with it, he says, was to run a shppoing cart into it. "Just so that it knows it isn't going to be cared for.." he had the thing for four or five years.. fan stopped coming on. he wired a house light switch in the grill for it. odo quit just over 125K.. thre eyears before it tanked. it didnt even die, but the transmission was so bad, and the engine was so low on power (once, i changed the oil filter, drained the oil, and gave it new plugs/wires/disty cap., and once [after living for nine months with a spare battery and a charger at home] i put an alternator in it) that he put it out of its misery. the only thing that wasnt godawful about that car was the little dealer logo on the back.. it came from Abraham Pontiac in Roswell, New Mexico. this guys my friend's dad, and we called him the rocket scientist when we were teenagers cuz his degree is in aerospace engineering (BS, not postgrad) and he was just.. crazy....

but i have nothing but bad memories of that car. well, it IS a gm 100 amp alternator that i have to go in my datsun now... so i suppose bad memories, and one part. :- )

hey, i already had a lifetime warranty on that alternator in my name at AutoZone... and i didnt even have to pay for it, he did!! i wasnt letting that go to the junkyard!

my first saab and my first car btw Had 700K miles on it.Original engine,Tranny,and the body wasnt rusted to all hell.It was bought in 1987 by my parents at a saab dealership with all the options (an S model is the top of the line Saab car without a turbo,pre gm anyway)The only things that were replaced during its 18 years of life on the road were both front axles and the clutch was replaced 2 years before it died.The thing that forced me to sell it was not a mechanical issue but an electrical issue.One day it just wouldnt start and I didnt have the time to fix it so I bought my current saab 200K and still going strong.Oh yes another thing,my previous saab did not smoke,use oil,or to be brutaly honest it probally didnt even need a tuneup.

Yes you are right the vehicles that last forever are over engineered.The saab had a crossdrilled crank(something most cars dont have because its not cost effective,not to mention an absolute bomb-proof bottom end.I miss that car but it was sold to a saab-alaholic with the intention of fixing it up.Maybe I will buy it back...

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=53440

the "narrowest J-turn"

"A J-Turn is defined as turning a car through 180 deg from reversing in a straight line to driving forwards in a straight line."

are they talking about a 3 point turn? (5 point, 7 point, etc?)

if so, did he actually do it in only three points??? or is the record that he turned the car around, in ANY number of directional switches, in that narrow a space? because THAT would be EASY... i want a world record :- )

Still contemplating a candidate... of course all balanced engines are perfect for the high miles with good manufacture, and aluminum in perfect place (block/heads or both)- for no rebuild. There is the six cylinder that has yet to see the legendary "no bullcrap" math in mass production.There was a 1956 dino that went f1 racing, truly a winner, and I did find this 120 v6 in aviation- like the balanced boxer 4. I really like the thought of 60 degrees more fire in every revolution than a four cylinder. Natural Aspiraton would be naturally very powerful- and all in the balance I seek. :)

V Aircraft Engines' Bambardier V300T

vaircraft0704bms3.jpg

Someday? someplace... A manufacturer is Really gonna get thier head out of thier marketed butt and build a 120 v6 for the masses. :slobber:

(sorry 4.3L chevy owners- you will never change my personally gathered knowledge of 1500 vehicles and thier undersides serviced , as well as my own custom builds and learns over 17 years. If you showed me one with 3 million miles - I would still spit on this ridiculous engine. :) I am certain to be called a "rock head"- just like the realistic design of a long running

engine, in my very realistic stubborn fact gathering.)

43ltrcrankfb5.jpg

I know no one cares and there is a strong aura of "Foreign cars are built better" in almost everyone. But my first car had 230K, was in perfect maintenance, didnt burn any oil, all original. It was a Lincoln 4.6 V8 :rolleyes: I killed it driving through some water that had clogged and flooded the street, the air intake was too low and I hydrolocked it dead. :eek:

old mercedes diesels can and will reach 1,5 million km's, especially in the old eastern germany and poland/russia were they use them as cabs (from 1960 till now :headbang:), they just keep on driving them...

That is a good one. Not around here... to have weather extremes, all known to mankind, including tornados- The boxer 4 is by far the most incredible drivetrain ever. I even pursued a diesel mercedes and learned for several months of maine winter this advice, "don't even bother with them in January". I am certain that had a record written from Arizona USA for 1 million miles and normal maintenance. That would be an interesting car mastered for winter though.Very dirty, but hey, they do have benefits like a rusty old sube :)

whos got the million mile sube?! :brow::burnout:

Here locally, theres the older toyotas "2.4re" they weren't necessarily 2.4 liters, but they go quite a long way with headgaskets in the trucks. the real good ones make strange noises up to the 300k I have seen. Its those two cylinders in the middle, different than the others thermally and intake. Inlines suck no matter what they do with them, but it does get a freak design once and awhile.

I still think it is a sube flat four motor. Even the exhaust has to work into something they didn't put together, but they are out there - aging like wine balanced and cool through every season and other facts that kill them. no rebuilds. not even a headgasket.:)

• 1 year later...
A little tricky especially on a hill,but can be done especially if you are fast.

i only had use of my right foot for 2 years

you get used to it real quick

and i could shift like a chapion

hills were allways fun though

i had a 86 ranger 23004cyl and 4speed manual

this was when i was 19-21 following a motogp race

where i was tossed at 120mph and shattered my left leg

so yes you can drive stick with just your right foot

I had just under 500,000 on my old '72 Volvo before I sold it. (it had about 300,000 when I bought it)

Burned a little oil sometimes. But it took me up to Seattle every weekend like it was cake.

And I'm sure the previous owner never did much to the engine as far as an overhaul.

I wanted to keep it so I could one day join Volvo's "Million Mile Club". But i didn't feel like fixing all the brake problems it developed.

My stepdad has well over a million miles on the original engine in his Kenworth. But those are built for high miles.

He almost threw a party when it turned over.

There's a MB 240D taxi in Greece with 2.8 million miles, it's been rebuilt several times (just like any GM with 90000 or more!)

I had a 90 GMC pickup with 280k that my dad bought new. When it died it had been through 2 transmissions and ran GREAT. My wife rear ended a group of about 12 kids going to rehab :( Not a record by far but far over 90k sako!

hey, if we're going to dig up old posts at least it's ones with some humor in it...WOW, even his name is censored!!!

My stepdad has well over a million miles.......................

He almost threw a party when it turned over.

i thought 40,000 miles in one year made for interesting numbers....for him, averaging 50mph (probably too high)....that's 20,000 hours....800+ 24/7 days straight.....and probably over $100,000 in gas....more like a quarter million in gas these days.

hey, if we're going to dig up old posts at least it's ones with some humor in it...WOW, even his name is censored!!!

i thought 40,000 miles in one year made for interesting numbers....for him, averaging 50mph (probably too high)....that's 20,000 hours....800+ 24/7 days straight.....and probably over $100,000 in gas....more like a quarter million in gas these days.

I believe it's a '91 T600. He hit a million about two/three years ago.... I think it was. :)

Yeah he drives alot doing long haul and spends $$$$$ on fuel.

hehe, yeah I noticed the "banned" part. But I just noticed the date on the other posts.