Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I know it's been discussed a thousand times but when I search the threads, other engine sizes and stuff get mixed up with the topic so here goes.I have a 2000 Outback 2.5 with approx. 170000 kms.I understand the the timing belt should be done. I would like to have a list of the other things that should be done at the same time to give to my mechanic so it gets done the right way the first time.

Thanks in advance.

1)Timing Belt

2)Check Idler Pullies (3) and t-belt tensioner for leaking grease and

abnormal play -- at this mileage, usually only the toothed idler ever

presents a problem.

3)Cam Seals and Front Crank Seal

4)Oil Pump o-ring (reseal w/ Permatex Ultra-Gray RTV)

Reseal oil pump and make sure that screws haven't backed out

-- mine were fine so I left them alone.

5)Alternator Belt

6)A/C Belt

7)Water pump

8)Thermostat

9)coolant conditioner as per Subaru recommendation (Part# SOA635071 in the US but is rebadged Holt's RadWeld)

10) The lower timing belt cover gasket -- sometimes gets swelled when it

comes in contact with oil and should be replaced.

Just got the work order from dealership.They did head gaskets,timing belt,timing belt tensioner,thermostat,an undercoating recall, coolant conditioner recall and a A/F ratio sensor recall.

Sounds good -- the only items from the list to watch out for are: #5,6, & 7

It's too bad they didn't change the H20 pump while they were in there. If the water pump bearing seizes, the top end of your engine is toast. Most people replace them at 105K when they do their timing belt service, even if they're still good because they generally won't make it past 150K miles or 240,000 kms. Nontheless, pumps usually give you some warning before they fail -- just keep an ear out for odd (bearing) noises coming from the front of your engine. Water pumps also have a weep hole that will allow coolant to seep out when the bearing seals begin to fail, which also gives some warning of impending failure, but the coolant conditioner will prevent this from happening. You might consider a low/non silicate/phosphate the next time you replace the coolant, which will extend the life of bearing seals.

Alternator and AC belts are easy and inexpensive to replace -- @$20 USD and 15 minutes. They should be tightened after about 500 miles or 800 kms of service. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

it prob. wouldnt hurt to do the upper and lower rad. hoses while the system is drained.....especially if any of the seals are leaking....(my cam seal was leaking pretty bad and my lower hose was swelled up like a sausage)

What do you think of this kit.It is now time to do the belt so I was thinking of this kit plus the seals and waterpump.

I guess my question should have read ,does anyone have a problem with the quality of the parts in this kit?

What kit are you referring to?