Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This topic has been covered a while back, but I thought there might be some new info available. Did all of the searches, and still not quite sold on a particular one.

I live near a college town and the traffic now is downright dangerous. One rule of thumb that the parents must be teaching their kids, because many of the parents do it too is, "Make sure to change lanes suddenly, without checking mirrors, or signalling." Its a miracle that I've survived, and the subi so far this new season. Not to mention the bloated maggot bag who tried real hard to ram me with his pick up truck, but that's another story.

Like many of you, we need a decent aftermarket horn on our subis. IMHO, a horn is a safety device to warn others who drive with their eyes closed, while listening, no doubt, to Obiwan Kinobi on their cell phones say, "Use the force, Luke."

I've shoped for air horns and the good ones are BIG $. The local auto marts have the italian red fiamms w/no guarantee. I've read that if they are exposed to h2o, they will turn into a block of rust, or I would've kept the model that has the compressor hooked directly to the duel seashell. Mighty good pitch and volume. I've read some places that the trumpet ones tend to pause before sounding and they aren't very durable. If you've had long term possitive experiences, let us know. The single electric seashells and button horns just don't do it for me. Tried a couple out.

I need the following:

1. Something that can mount under the grill in the open air intakes below the bumper on an OutBack.

2. Loud enough to scare dead opossums back to life, or at least out of the road before they get hit.

3. Long term Durability

4. Can be hooked up to be activated by the steering wheel horn button.

5. Feel free to add your own.

Any suggestions for around $100, preferably less?

eq

I've bought a few sets of those 2 and 3 horn 'air horns' with the integral air pump from the auto parts stores in the past; they last a couple years maybe and aren't really all that loud. You said under $100, so I don't know what to recommend there, but when I was looking for loud airhorns a couple years ago, it appeared that Wolo I think was the brand had some nice loud airhorns, but they weren't cheap and often you needed a little compressor and air tank.

Maybe I can go as high as $150 if I save a couple more weeks, but most of the big rig systems start around $300 once you factor in the tank, etc., and still need space under the hood. How does that system you mentioned, Wolo, fit? Might look cool to mount a pair of trumpets on the roof rack. :burnout:

I've heard what you said about the trumpet horns on other sites, but trying out the sea shell duelly, it was loud. Only problem is it uses the same compressor, and it should be mounted like the description above or it looses its decibles under the hood.

Go to Wolo web site and listen to all of the horns they produce. I got the Dixie horn for my son about six years back and installed it in his Buick, it had I think six trumpets and was not hard to install. Also Harbor Freight sells a two trumpet air horn.

Maybe I can go as high as $150 if I save a couple more weeks, but most of the big rig systems start around $300 once you factor in the tank, etc., and still need space under the hood. How does that system you mentioned, Wolo, fit? Might look cool to mount a pair of trumpets on the roof rack. :burnout:

I've heard what you said about the trumpet horns on other sites, but trying out the sea shell duelly, it was loud. Only problem is it uses the same compressor, and it should be mounted like the description above or it looses its decibles under the hood.

We've been pleased with these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44760

Get one high freq. and one low... they're inexpensive but very loud and much more effective than the stock horns. Much easier to install than air powered ones, less to break, etc.

I put a set of these in my wife's Impreza within the first 100 miles or so, after she was nearly run off the road and the other car didn't even hear the stock horns :rolleyes:

Another option is Hella Supertones, but they're quite a bit more expensive than the Fiamms.

Steve

I find it hard to believe you would need a horn with the capability of an ambulance or a transport trailer! The only reason they have such loud horn is to give notice to people who are far away that they are coming through in an emergency situation.

I've seen the development of quite a few road-rage incedents because of an arrogant sounding horn! Can anyone with a nasty horn substantiate this ie: do other drivers appear more angry than usual than when you drive your grandmother's car?

I've seen the development of quite a few road-rage incedents because of an arrogant sounding horn! Can anyone with a nasty horn substantiate this ie: do other drivers appear more angry than usual than when you drive your grandmother's car?

I've personally seen potential accidents avoided because our louder horns alerted the driver in the next lane trying to merge into us to pull their head out of their a**. Horns are for emergency situations and inattentive drivers, that is their purpose. The stock horns in my experience lack the decibels to perform their function adequately. My personal experience with the awful drivers we have here, maybe all drivers in your area are competent... not the case here.

Steve

I find it hard to believe you would need a horn with the capability of an ambulance or a transport trailer! The only reason they have such loud horn is to give notice to people who are far away that they are coming through in an emergency situation.

Not really true. When I was taking EMT class, I had to do an ambulance ride-along for a day. I was utterly shocked at how oblivious folks are. We'd be behind cars stopped at a red light, the ambi guy would be blasting every noise maker on the rig and have all lights flashing, **right** behind someone, and they would consistently not notice for quite a while. Not always, of course, but as often than not we'd be stuck there. Interesting to see it from that perspective. From a regular car, it seems everyone always gets out of the way immediately, however that is far from being the case.

Anyhoo...I'd suggest checking out a marine store. I used to have a long single trumpet, w/ compressor, marine horn, under the hood of my '79 roo, and that thing was LOUD. Loved shocking folks with that thing, coming from my dinky dorky car.

As far as road rage...anyone who gets enraged by a horn is going to get enraged by something anyway. I mean it is one thing if you are blasting your horn for minutes at a time while in standstill traffic that is stopped for a mile in front of you. But within reason, a horn is a piece of safety equipment, and even a courtesy device (both of which apply to turn signals as well -- also underutilized, if you haven't noticed). I guess it's a cultural thing. My wife learned to drive in Wisconsin, and she hates it and gets mad almost every single time I use my horn. I learned to drive in NY, and so the horn pretty much an extension of my subconscious -- don't even have to think about it before using it; pure instinct!

Use your horn liberally! If someone gets enraged about it,smile and wave in a friendly manner...and then lean on the horn some more!

There are entire threads at www.nasioc.com devoted to Hella installs. With wiring diagrams, pictures etc. Even some folks that manage to keep the original horn in the circuit and add 2 DIFFERENT styles of Hella dual horn systems!

Carl

Hella Supertones. Cheaper than airhorns, will blast opponents off of the road.

I've got an old electric horn off of a junked 1950's dump truck in mine.:grin: Ya know...big and red, shaped like an air horn. I put it in the empty space in front of the air box on my Impreza. It's not bolted down, but is well wedged into place.:rolleyes: I just wired it up to one of the stock horns, so now all three sound. Before I did this, my car let out a pitful "meep meep" upon hitting the horn button. Now it gets people's attention, without being overly loud and annoying.

Fiamm AM100

These are a bit bigger than AM80, but the extra sound volume is worth it!

Be sure to purchase two, one high one low, to get that 100Hz beat frequency that really travels and rattles the windows on other cars. These have saved me a number of times when dozy drivers have strayed into my lane while I was just next to them.

Really, they scream and they mean it! Sounds like a tugboat when it bounces off city walls :brow:

There are entire threads at www.nasioc.com devoted to Hella installs. With wiring diagrams, pictures etc. Even some folks that manage to keep the original horn in the circuit and add 2 DIFFERENT styles of Hella dual horn systems!

Carl

The Hella SuperTones are 118 dB. They're about $75 a pair delivered on eBay or from Susquahanna's website.

I bought the "Compact Trumpet Horn" because it's a wider pattern and sounds better.

There's an install thread on legacygt as well.

Fiamm AM100

These are a bit bigger than AM80, but the extra sound volume is worth it!

Be sure to purchase two, one high one low, to get that 100Hz beat frequency that really travels and rattles the windows on other cars. These have saved me a number of times when dozy drivers have strayed into my lane while I was just next to them.

Really, they scream and they mean it! Sounds like a tugboat when it bounces off city walls :brow:

yeah. the dual setups with slight freq,. differences SEEM to be the key.

oh, here's a link to the obligatory train horn scare video;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1171013797384954189&q=train+horn&hl=en

Carl

• 4 weeks later...
Really, Fiamm AM100, nipper you will not be disappointed. Especially if you use the relay they supply and install some thicker wires from horn to battery ;)

I've seen them rate up to 130dB - but I reckon 120dB is more likely.

AM80 are 114dB

I would like to see more horn sites use the decible level at a fixed distance specs. Its really hard to compare apples and oranges without tone and dB levels. I guess the next best thing is to see peoples reactions to horns blown, like on the previous clips. I found one I like from fiamm, yet the problem is still there. If I mount it up front where it will be exposed to rain, I'm told it will rust up. I think they call it the ultimate. Its shaped like a duel shell horn directly to the compressor, with no lines. I've compared it side by side to the other fiamm single tones of similar designs and it is even louder.....by a LOT. Its a shame that it can't be effectively protected from atmospheric moisture and the elements. If I seel it, it can't draw air into the compressor. Plus there is the horn opening, but the package said something about a new improved valve, or something.

The expensive truck horns, and train horns have no guarantee, which is pricey if there is a problem. I'd still like to get a train horn, mount it to lower air intake on the OB, if the rest of the unit fits in a protected area like next to the battery. Again, what is it that makes the price range so widely on all of those trumpet horns? Some are $300-$2000+!!!

eq

Where can I get one of those low-grunting horns the police use when weaving through traffic and crowds?

I'd like to wire one independent of the main horn(s) just for the polite horn tap to get folks to stop pickin' their noses and drive when the light turns green.

Don't even know what they are called or if they are "civil" legal. Any suggestions?

Juan