Ultimate Subaru Message Board

am i wrong?

isn't a rear swaybar just supposed to bolt on?? there's no holes for a swaybar... and the rear end came off a car that had rear discs... and i thought all cars with rear discs (GL-10) had swaybars also... am I wrong?? oh yeah, it's a 1987 GL 5 spd d/r.... would it being a d/r have anything to do with it?? thanks guys.

The rear sway bar was stock only on the RX. There were smaller ones that came on some of the FT4WD GL-10's and other "turbo" models, but some do not have them.

The mounts for the rear sway are brackets welded to the trailing arms. But these mounts don't exist at all on cars not equipped with the sway bar. You will need both rear arms to install one.

D/R in itself does not mean it will or will not have one. It's very hazy as to how they were equipped - but mostly they were on Turbo models - just not all of them.

GD

do you know if anybody's ever fashioned their own mounts? cuz i have a swaybar and i'd really like to use it, but I don't wanna have to go find another rear end..... although I know where one is. just too much trouble to go pull it and pull everything out from under my car.

It's not the whole rear end - just the trailing arms.

Making your own mounts would be.... dificult. There are rubber bushings in them, and so forth. And you would need welding equipment to put them on.

You could use a die grinder and take the mounts off the other arms and weld them to yours. That's what I've done on my EA81.

GD

the rear trailing arms actually aren't that hard to remove. they look alot more troublesome than they are but there isn't much to it.

if the bolts are seized and rusty that can be annoying, but other than that they come out much quicker and easier than i anticipated.

it seems like i couldn't find the mounts ANYWHERE back there... but I will look tomorrow and if not, I know where i can get the stuff. while I'm at it I think i'll get hooked on some lsd, lol. :banana: MAN THIS THING'S GONNA BE SUCH A SWEET RIDE!!!! when i'm done with all this i'm going on a road trip to NYC. :burnout:

EA82 Subarus -4WDs anyway- came with either bump stops (black rubber nosecone looking things) or sway bars.

You could swap in some sway bar control arms, and then chop & weld the bump stop platforms on your old arms .. this would be easier than adding sway bar bracketry to your existing control arms, and you're going to have to find sway bar control arms anyway.