Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well my wife was driving the turbo Legacy, need i say more?:eek:

She was at a stop when she started to drive and then the check engine light came on... The engine started to shutter a little... She turned off the radio and she heard a clanking sound from under the car.

So she gives me a call and has me meet her down the street and i jolt out the door.

I see nothing hanging from underneath. Nothing awry under the hood. So I jump in and have her follow me home.

I limped it home at about 10-15mph basicly idle. Every time it would get about 1000 revs you could hear a high pitched rattleing type of sound but nothing at idle, idled smooth. At first i thought/ hoped that it was just the halfshaft broken and was rattleing. I got home and looked really good behind the tires and the shafts looked good. I took the cover off of the engine and nothing out of the ordenary. So i jumped in the car and started it up to verifty that it was truly coming from the engine.

I started it up and it idled eratically for about 2 sec's and cut out. Started it again and heard the rattle --Its in the engine-- GREAT!!!!!

So I guess its time to call the tow truck and get it hauled to Subaru for a diagnoses. WOW THIS SUCKS!!!!! :mad: :mad: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I might just need to pull the XT6 out of retirement until the turbo L gets fixed.

So any Ideas? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am thinking mabe a broken valve, I would imagane that if it were a rod it would idle like crap if at all even.

It kinda seems like Subaru picked up some of GM's quality control, or lack thereof, doesn't it?:rolleyes: Seriously, though...I just don't think the new Subes are quite as reliable as the older ones. That's pitiful...major engine failure after less than two years. *sigh* At least it's under warranty.

It kinda seems like Subaru picked up some of GM's quality control, or lack thereof, doesn't it?:rolleyes: Seriously, though...I just don't think the new Subes are quite as reliable as the older ones. That's pitiful...major engine failure after less than two years. *sigh* At least it's under warranty.

Hopefully.

GM sold there stake in Fuji Industries. They needed the cash.

Steve

GM sold there stake in Fuji Industries. They needed the cash.

Steve

I knew that.:rolleyes: I think that was early this year, though. Oh, well...back on topic.

You're right, nipper. There's always going to be a few rotten apples in the bunch. It just happens.

Hope you get your GT back on the road soon, Gravityman. Or the XT6.:brow:

OK,

Well I found out that it is not the engine which is why it was idleing so nicely.

ITS THE TURBO!!!

I was told that the nut that holds the compresser blade on backed off and destroyed the turbo. That makes sence hence the wrench in the combustion chamber sound.

Subaru was trying to say that the oil was to low, about a quart and a half. The oil was in the middle of the two marks on the dip, between full and low. Subaru told me that it should be at the full mark all the time. This makes no sence considering when i change the oil with the recommended amount it fills to the middle mark.

They cannot confirm if the nut came off the bolt before of after the turbo bearings fried, which caused which. Its the which came first the chicken or the egg.

They said that if i can produce some oil reciepts that it would help prove that i do change my oil. kinda gay. Who keeps oil purchase reciepts, not like i am going to return used oil, but wouldnt mind getting money back for the full synthetic.:grin:

The mechanic said that they will most likely cover the replacement of the turbo under the warrenty either way, HOPEFULLY!!!!

I will keep everyone updated. Hopefully they accidently install a VATN turbo. That would be cool!!!

hrmmmm

a bolt needs to come loose via vibrattion.

Vibration can come from a failed bearing.

A failed would come from a failed seal maybe?

Since its pressurized oil that goes to the turbo, i cant see how low oil would cause it to fail.

Also if the bearing failed, it would take the oil seal with it, whic would cause a loss of oil.

Stand your ground. Failed turbos dont happen often but i hear about 6 a year.

nipper

low oil could possibly fry the bearings if it does not get the proper lub required.

Belive me i will stand my ground!

The mech said that if a bearing fails that it could cause the shaft to momentarly spin in the opposite direction or something like that causing the bolt to spin loose. I could only imagine that either vibration or inproper torque and or lack of torque seal could cause it a bolt to come loose. I work on radars(Lots of vibration, heat and G-forces) in the F-15E for the air force and I have never seen a bolt that was properly installed fail.

Scott

low oil could possibly fry the bearings if it does not get the proper lub required.

Belive me i will stand my ground!

The mech said that if a bearing fails that it could cause the shaft to momentarly spin in the opposite direction or something like that causing the bolt to spin loose. I could only imagine that either vibration or inproper torque and or lack of torque seal could cause it a bolt to come loose. I work on radars(Lots of vibration, heat and G-forces) in the F-15E for the air force and I have never seen a bolt that was properly installed fail.

Scott

i worked on bru46 and bru 47, and the jeteson systems for fuel tanks. i also worked on helicopter towed mine sweepers which were turbine powered.

i would think that if the seal went first and you got low on oil there would have been blue smoke behind you.

i'm betting on mfg defect.

nipper

Nippy, can I get one of these mine sweepers as an option on my 05?

Seriously, there are defects in anything made by man. That having been said, a neighbor's 05 turbo OB was in the shop within weeks after purchase, so often and for so long that SOA gave him a brandy new car, paid for his rentals and extended the replacement car's warranty to 6 year 100,000 as a good will gesture to assure him that SOA believes in their product and acknowledged that his experience was an aberration. You have nothing to lose by asking for serious consideration. The warranty is a reasonable request (I got one for free in settlement of a similar dispute) since if they really believe in their product, it should cost them nothing and buy back your confidence:headbang:.

i worked on helicopter towed mine sweepers which were turbine powered.

nipper

slightly off topic, a friend bought a used volvowagon turbo. the turbo failed the used car lot said tuff, what else would they say.?

they had the repair done by a local independant quality shop. the turbo fails again. he replaces for free. the turbo fails again. 3 times. now he calls the supplier to find out what's wrong with their product.

some one finally concludes that the engine had overheated in the past damaging both the turbo and the engine. and that now the damaged engine is ruining the turbos. they replaced the engine.

does any of this make sense? i know nothing about turbos.

slightly off topic, a friend bought a used volvowagon turbo. the turbo failed the used car lot said tuff, what else would they say.?

they had the repair done by a local independant quality shop. the turbo fails again. he replaces for free. the turbo fails again. 3 times. now he calls the supplier to find out what's wrong with their product.

some one finally concludes that the engine had overheated in the past damaging both the turbo and the engine. and that now the damaged engine is ruining the turbos. they replaced the engine.

does any of this make sense? i know nothing about turbos.

The only way that turbos can fail repeatedly are one of two ways

1- poor materials so they self destruct

2 Smomething wrong with the way the bearing is cooled, some use water some use oil some use both. The liquid is not getting to the bearings.

The beauty of a turbo is its simplicity. Also if your freind does not allow the turbo to speed down after driving (give the turbo a minute to stop spinning) hard, that can ruin a turbo on some cars.

nipper

WELL!!!

I just picked up my legacy today and Subaru covered everything to replace the turbo under the warrenty. I am so happy! They also said that everything replaced is warrentied for 12 months and unlimited miles with or with out my original warrenty.

I have to say they did me really good! excellent service and very fast turn around! Now i have my turbo back!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :headbang: :headbang: