Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WELL!!!

I just picked up my legacy today and Subaru covered everything to replace the turbo under the warrenty. I am so happy! They also said that everything replaced is warrentied for 12 months and unlimited miles with or with out my original warrenty.

I have to say they did me really good! excellent service and very fast turn around! Now i have my turbo back!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :headbang: :headbang:

Congrats!

Can I ask, did they say what might have caused such an early Turbo failure, and is this common?

John

It kinda seems like Subaru picked up some of GM's quality control, or lack thereof, doesn't it?:rolleyes: Seriously, though...I just don't think the new Subes are quite as reliable as the older ones. That's pitiful...major engine failure after less than two years. *sigh* At least it's under warranty.

Really? Even though GM sold off their share to Toyota?

I don't know if the new ones are as reliable as the old ones, or better. My 06 only has 18,000 miles on it thus far.

gravityman. i'm really confused on this blown turbo deal. if the nut "back off" as they say and bearing got toasted. is there any chance this nut or metal pieces ended up in the engine combustion chamber? metal in the cylinders won't make nice things happen to the engine.

and as for the oil being low.......that's funny as hell since people have posted threads on here about new subaru's "using" oil and they take them back to the dealer who says...."that's a normal amount of oil usage"......that's a funny discrepancy, not that it matters for you now.

that's awesome news they fixed it.

First, I truly think that this is an IHI turbo failure which has nothing to do with subarus craftsmanship. Other then this failure there has been nothing wrong with my roo. It is a very strong running machine. It is hard for a company to screen internal parts that come preassembled from another company such as IHI. This very well could have been a simple freak incident, the mechanic at Subaru said that this is only the second time he has seen this happen on any new roo. The other time it happened the lady had NO oil showing on the dip stick and it was her fault.

Gary,

I was wondering the exact thing and i asked them if they flushed my intercooler for metal shaving. They said that the shavings most likely didnt make it into the IC, why, i dont know. I think the person i asked wasnt sure of the question i asked, "did you guys flush the intercooler for metal shavings", "oh that shouldnt matter. I will call after the weekend and talk directly to the mechanic.

They did say that this was a normal amount of oil usage but that i need to keep it topped off almost bi-weekly, which is true. Long road trips or hard driving will eat oil.

Gravityman,

Glad to hear here you got the problem straightened out with good results.

Since you get to work with the F15-E equipment, do you have a inside connection you could hook me up with? I would really like to go for a test flight in one. That experience would be even better than driving a Subaru.

Glen

Edit:

I tried to send you a private message but it looks like your box is full. Can you make some room for more messages by deleting some old ones?

GM sold there stake in Fuji Industries. They needed the cash.

Steve

I bet it is subarus omen- dealing with gm at all, ever. Lack of discipline was first thing I noticed about the newer soobs, just like gm. Then I found out they interacted, after the infamous ea82's were retired and gm had a stake in it. It is like they are in the wild stages of gm's 1960's. Manic out of control heathens with a 15 lb turbo breakin things without a care except "its so powerful" .when is the old man of subaru gonna say "enough kids- time to let the humble true strength of origin back in." :)

Awesome Subaru covered it.

However this all being said if you change the oil yourself staple the receipt for oil and filter and note mileage. Subaru did you a huge favor covering it, they were under no obligation since you had no proof of oil changes. You say this is silly. However how many cars come in never an oil change for 10k-20k and people will lie for coverage.

Lastly, your warranty on the new turbo is 5yrs/60,000 miles as part of original powertrain. So in this case keep every oil change receipt until that passes.

I have the same car and absolutely love our manual 05 LGT Wagon.

About the grill and the front end look, I went to the SOA plant in IL and they said that it will be going very soon, but not for the 07 models but probably the 08. The tribeca looks a little nicer for 07, chrome grill and rims, with a few other add ons.

I figured that the turbo was under the powertrain, DEE DEE DEE, some one cought me off track. Belive me i will be keeping my reciepts!

I was at a new owner clinic :rolleyes: a month or so ago at the dealer i bought my baja at. They said if you do your own oil changes buy your oil a day or so in advance (date on recept) and write your mileage in the log book and on the recept...because if there is a problem then you can prove you have svcd. it. Oh and the best part....subarus can go up to 7500 before changes so if you lose a recept you would still be covered (if you do 3k changes)