Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gl-10 wagon won't start....

EA82T 87 GL-10 wagon. push button 4wd

\Started and ran fine last night. belt was slipping a little bit nothing major. Went out this afternoon, tighten'd the belt up, put new plug wires on it. Went to start it, It will turn over, but seems like its onlt going through all of the cylinders once, then it will act like it died, and start trying to crank itself again....

I'm lost on this one, i need some help.. PLEASE???

Has gas in it, plug wires are all connected, no loose connections(other than what was taken off with the AC,. but it ran fine right after that)

Any help you guys can ovver would be beyong aprciated. My loyale got tboned 2 weeks ago, and gettin this fixed, and an inspection and I'll finally be back on the road again:)

thanks

Check the plug wires again. I've swapped plug wires, and it will sound like it's trying to start, then quit.

Also, if you've tried to start it a number of times and it doesn't catch, it may be flooded. I had this problem with my GL last night (after replacing the distributor and not having the connections solidly made). If you're SURE the plug wires are right, and all connected, crank it, and put your foot on the floor for a few seconds to help it clear the excess fuel out. If it's really badly flooded, you might have to disconnect the fuel pump for a bit (though I don't think Subarus are as bad as RX-7s when it comes to flooding).

-=Russ=-

It depends. It will dramatically increase the airflow through the system, and if it's minorly flooded, could clear it.

A fuel injection start system will inject a small amount of fuel when you turn the key to 'start' to start the engine, and once it catches it will be sucking enough air for the airflow meter to provide reasonable data.

The trick is that if it's flooded, and you keep cranking it with the pedal down, you'll be injecting *more* fuel, and... it gets worse.

The real fix with a FI car is to disable the injector/injectors, or the fuel pump. But most piston engine cars won't flood this bad.

The other possibility is a weak battery. If the voltage drops enough when the engine is turning over that the electronics can't get enough power to fire the injectors/ignition, it won't start.

-=Russ=-

I managed to get it started for him, swapped plug wires as suspected. It is making a wicked noise now, primarily from the mid to drivers side of the engine, kinda sounds like a blown (as in blower/supercharged) engine does, not sure whats up with that. We've got it pretty torn down at the moment, going to do a cam/cam case swap on it..... hoping the noise is cam bearings, any other ideas as to what it could be.

BTW..... I removed to belts to eliminate the possibility of it being alt or PS..... it's something internal.

Curt managed to point out my stupidity for me. I guess i had been up to long or something, never gottent hat mixed up on anything else before.

the squeak was a melted timing belt cover. was rubbing on the drivers side right on top of the cam sproket.

Got my delta cams put in, most everything hooked back up. We will find out tomorrow if we got everything right.

I try'd to get it to start tonight, but after a few tries it wouldn't do anything but turn over, never would fire or run at all. I'm pretty sure the timing is set correctly, i think ther is something really obvious I'm over looking at the time. Hopefully it will run tomorrow after work.

Curt managed to point out my stupidity for me. I guess i had been up to long or something, never gottent hat mixed up on anything else before

Must be a sleep depravation issue since you did the same thing today!

As for the timing covers, the you guys should've seen them, the rear ones looked like they had been in a nuclear holocaust or something, melted over the bolts and running down the front of the engine. The noise was another odd bit also..... somehow a rogue bolt managed to find it's way into the alt. belt (I assume) and was launched thread side down into the driver side timing belt cover..... it was crazy.

Like he says though, it's back together and not running.....more to come.