Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headliner

I am curious how you guys have addressed your headliner issues? It looks as if there is none in my car only the foam. So I am guessing what was once there was that cloth on foam that sags?

If thats the case have you replaced the cloth or used dye on the foam?

Is there a really good adhesive?

Thanks,

John

I got look closer once it gets light out.

No I wasn't thinking anything fancy I was thinking of that cheap nylon like fabric that is ultra thin and always hangs down in early american cars. Maybe mine has the vynal missing.

Has the vynal ver had problems of coming apart from the foam? Assuming it is attached via adhesive?

Thanks for the reply.

Foam? No there was never any fabric up there. There is cardboard, and then foam on top covered in vinyl.

Remember this isn't a luxury car. It's an econemy 4WD.

GD

For the life of me, I can't recall the name of the stuff. But there is a spray adhesive available for doing the headliner. Should be able to find it a parts store.

Been awhile back. But I helped a friend do the liners in both his '67 Cougar XR-7 and '73 Mustang Mach 1. He used the spray, and it really worked well.

you could put in whatever you wanted.. toms right about the spray adhesive, its a 3M product that i know works great.. and i believe its called like, srpay interior adehsive, or something like that.. any good brand of spray glue hould work. the older soobs had a kinda suzzy felt-like cardboard for the headliner, and the newer ones got vinyl covered. at least, my gl10 is fussy type stuff, and i cant believe its been replaced

if it aint broke, dont fix it!

Must not be an engineer...

Engineer's motto: "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is."

Then back off a notch and rebuild it because you know the absolute limits of whatever you're trying to do.

-=Russ=-

• 7 years later...

Sorry for the necrothread, but I wanted to make sure I exhausted my search options first.

The headliner in my hatch is pretty chewed up. I have a pristine example from a hatch I stripped last year, but it's the wrong color (blue.) I was wondering if anybody has painted/ dyed the foam with any success.

I could glue some material, but that's not my first choice if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Dan