Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My RX that didnt make the show **Update**

Just about everyone at the show knew what happened on the way, but for the folks that dont, this is what happened.

On Fri afternoon my 2 boys and I headed out in the RX. I worked my butt off for a couple weeks getting the car ready, and I still needed to finish up a few details onece I got to the Show. About 100mi from home, on I-5 I blew a upper rad hose. I found out the hard way my temp gauge is a little off:-\ It never got to the red, it never steamed up, but the hole in the hose was big enough to put my thumb in. When the temp started to drop along with my oil pressure, I knew I had a serious problem. I was 1mi from a rest stop and made a choice. I think I would have been better off stopping on the freeway then and there, because when I coasted into the rest stop the car was making bad sounds. I borrowed some duct tape:rolleyes: and limped it into the next town and got a new hose.

Unfortunaly my oil had broken dow and no longer had any viscosity. After 20mi it would start to heat up and lose pressure. I ended up stopping off the freeway at a little commercial unmanned gas stop. My wife and a friend were already on the road, they were supposed to be on thier way to dinner. They had a change of plans now. I made another mistake. I couldnt tell them the exit #, I was to busy looking at the temp/oil gauges when I got off. At least I knew the name of the exit. Well, 3hrs later they still werent there, so I called and asked what was up? Wife said they were almost there. Another hour went by, so I called again. They couldnt find the exit. They ended up paasssing it (way past it). I explaind the exit again and where I was at. Another hour later, I called again. It turns out they got off the right exit and went the wrong way. Then when she came back the couldnt see the gas station, so they turned around, twice. They finally found us and we transfered the important stuff and while waiting I had called Qman to see if I could borrow his truck and trailer (thanks a mil, again) we got back to the house around midnight, and once I got everyone setteled in for the night I took off and picked up the tow rig. I got back to the RX around 3am and got it loaded and took off back home, made it there around 6ish. Once I got the RX unloaded I transfered everything into the Hatch. I had a problem with the cooling system and threw in another rad I picked up from Qman (again, thanks) But on the way it was still overheating, so I stopped at a parts store and installed a new T-stat and waterpump. The sucker was still overheating. By now I was starting to get a little frustrated. So seeing how I was only 15mi from home I went back to look at my rad stash. I found a beat up one with fins and rods that looked ok, so I gave it a quick flush and threw it in. Zip ties included. So off we went, WCSS8 or bust! Anything over 65mph it started to get hot, so I had to stay at the lower speeds. We made it to the Show around 4pm Sat (I think. I was running on fumes by then. I only had 4hrs sleep Thurs). You all know the rest of the story. I was a little surprised that I did so well in the pit later. Must be instinct:-p

Well, heres a few pics of the RX while we were waiting for the ride home.

Maybe it will make it next year.

rxright2.jpg

rxright.jpg

rxrear.jpg

Btw, if anyone got pics of me in the mudpit, please post them!

Then we can post them on all the Yota Boards:lol:

Drained the oil today and put in fresh. Also changed the fouled plugs and the t-stat. It started and ran, but rough at idle. The good news is, I didnt fry the main bearings or anything in the bottom end. The not so good news is, I have to replace the HG's:rolleyes: I also have to make sure I didnt warp the heads.

Who knows a good source for the Rockauto HG's? I got a pair from Tex a while ago, they have the silicone bead all the way around them. I want to go with these again.

That is a BEAUTIFUL RX...

And my RX-7 has a coolant level sensor. If there is any air in the top of the radiator, it sets off one hell of a loud buzzer & a warning light.

It's an absolute pain in the rear to bleed all the air out of the cooling system & get the thing to shut up, but it's saved my rump roast on... *thinks* at least 3 occasions, where I had a very minor coolant leak that I wouldn't have noticed without the warning.

I think all cars should come with coolant level sensors. They're a lot more useful at telling you that you're losing coolant than a temperature gauge is.

-=Russ=-

Rob you told me the story, but i didnt know it was THAT Bad. Damn you and your temp gauges... isnt that what killed your EA81T the 2nd time around?

Well, glad you made it. I wish I had video of you making it through the pit, but I was busy doing a CV joint, but i heard the crowd from camp and knew it had to be spectacular. Hope someone got pix of it or even better, video.

-Brian

that's a hell of an ordeal, Rob. You should have towed the RX to the show and we could have fixed it and had an impromptu clinic :grin:

Rob's hatch completely OWNED the mud pit. He had zero trouble with any of it; several subarus, all (3) of the toyotas, and a samurai had all gotten stuck and the pit was at its worst and wettest, and dark to boot.

and I want a coolant level sensor too.. looks like BMWs have them as well. Ebay wants around $25ish but they could likely be had at the parts yard...

Rob, now that is a saga! Glad to hear that you made it down there. Both you and me had cooling issues this weekend. You definately took the cake, thought.

I only had a boilover when I climbed up to 5600 feet for some camping @ 90+ degree temps. I too was watching the water temp like a hawk. I am planning to get a 2 row radiator and double fans to keep the heat at bay for the next time I am putting some serious load on the car.

i drove from medford which was 400 miles on bad hub bearings "been bad for about 2 months" then 4x4 and some muddin. i decided i was gonna go no matter what and i had faith in my car . had some problems getting it going from mt hood to medford but now its not running since i parked it at home. im not sure what, but something is wrong with a vacum i think.

Ricer....

I feel your pain Rob... I'm having cooling issues with my RX as well. Maybe its cause the black keeps all the heat in;)

The only thing that gets hot in the car is me:rolleyes:

I had a cracked alt belt on it so I kept a spare in the engine bay. I didnt bother to check the hoses, like a dummy. Next trip there will be spares for alot of stuff(within reason).

• 1 month later...

Those are 14in Enkies, for a Peugeot. The ribs on the hubs have to be ground down for them to fit.

Good luck finding a set.

Btw, I pulled that chrome tip off. It was just to................gay:rolleyes:

Got to get me a decent performance muffler.

Y'know, I'm actually kind of pleased that you ended up bringing the hatch (Please be aware that I'm not glad about your RX having had problems, that sucks all around) instead, the mudpit wouldn't have been the same without you..much less entertaining to watch the dozer pull out the Toyota than a Subaru:clap: .

bad turbone... you used the g word... LMAO.. funny hearin that from someone old enough to be my father..

I'm a 25yr old in a 52yr old body(feels older now days).

Y'know, I'm actually kind of pleased that you ended up bringing the hatch (Please be aware that I'm not glad about your RX having had problems, that sucks all around) instead, the mudpit wouldn't have been the same without you..much less entertaining to watch the dozer pull out the Toyota than a Subaru .

Yes, it actually turned out ok. Altho I missed the Show and Shine (might have won a trophy in either car), I still had the warm fuzzy feeling after the run thru the mud pit:D