Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Winterizing? Defrost / heated wipers /heated washer fluid

I would like to start going over the car and getting it ready for fall/winter. It may sound early but everything costs money ya know.

Anyway I would like to hear from you guys what things you have done to your car that helps you in cold months. Permanent installs or just seasonal ones.

Also do you have problems with your rear defrost lines? I don't even have a rear window yet so it's a concern. Also every year my rear and quarter windows fog up beyond belief in my impreza. This year I would really like a kit to add defrost lines or buy one of those JCwhitney blowers (for my 82 GL). Is there a defrost line kit available? Does your heater keep all your windows defrosted/defogged? I really like to see when I am driving like an idiot in the snow ;)

Next I was interested in a heated washer fluid kit but @ 130 I will pass. Is there a cheap one? Or can I go buy some heater element that is sealed and drop it in with switch control?

http://www.nightdrivingsystems.com/index.cfm?action=viewitem&itemid=6&siteid=2&basketid=&catid=17&subcatid=31&oldaction=catalog

Again heated wipers I think only run an element through the main metal so there won't b ice/snow build up. Is there anyone who is familar with heating elements to suggest an easy approach of building a DIY kit?

http://www.nightdrivingsystems.com/index.cfm?action=viewitem&itemid=31&siteid=2&basketid=&catid=16&subcatid=23&oldaction=catalog

Also does tempature change air pressure?

Thanks again for any and all help!

do you have A/C? always use your defroster setting on High and it will run the a/c pump to dry out all the air so you dont fog up. Also the rear window, u mean you dont Have a rear window , just get a rear window with the grids, and plug it in, if any of the grids are damaged, they wont work, but there are easy to do repair kits at like radio shack. I wouldnt waste money on the heated windsheld wipers and crap, I do fine in near 0 weather with frost every morning and snow without them.

Make sure the coolant is good! If you live in really cold weather, consider running as high as 70/30 antifreeze/water concentration. The last thing you need is your block freezing. Apart from that, make sure the heater core isn't plugged shut, and you'll be fine.

Snow tires are nice, but not necessary. I have a set of snows though.

Other than that, turn the defroster on, and you should be fine. Use a block heater for those rapid warm ups.

Good,Good. Still waiting to get the number to that place in PA for the window. Anyone know it? U Pull it place?

Is there any other used part places on the eastcoast?

harry's U-pull it's

Hazleton: 570-459-9901

Pennsburg: 215-541-9950

allentown: 610-433-9901

the website is www.wegotused.com

haha the only reason i know all this is b/c the pricelist is on my computer stand..im not a nerd

I am thinking of same chores this past week. Maine is the "cold blue spot" of the whole lower continent as usual today. My little heater is even running in my apt right now.:confused:

The heated washer fluid gave me an idea to run one of the hoses around a warm part of the engine (metal part of heater core lines, even intake manifold). The defrost with electric lines is very nice, Even below zero that thing works its magic. There are times , for me it starts in single digits, no amount of heat keeps all windows content.How's the rubber seals around bottom of doors? Both my subes and most every car I have owned here has needed extra to keep them seated to the bottom of the door (didn't even need to be an ice storm to get one of those seals torn away from the door- a hard frost could even break them). I resorted to high powered epoxy type stuff, does good.A front air dam is very much a good thing on the older subes - helped engine stay ambient and stop stuff flying into parts of lower engine bay. http://93loyale.50megs.com/fskirt.html

Antifreeze has given me bizarre probs if mixed too lightly with water - I can actually have too much antifreeze :confused: .

Check dates on battery. if not readable, strain that memory! Mine is going on 5 yrs, and will chance it for one more season.

That is about all I check. Having 4 studded snows on thier own rims, gets checked over in november- I may not even use them this year, and have the four old straight wheels as spares. :)