Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 swap prob! FIXED!!!

Numbchux

I thought I'd post a new thread, so those of you who actually might help don't have to sort through the play-by-play of my weekend in the garage, and I'd just give the cliff notes.

anyway, I need this car running this week. school starts a week from today, and I need to have this car then. SOOO I'm getting desperate. here's the story:

I have:

Spark (which means ECU is getting signals from most, if not all sensors)

Compression

Fuel pressure to/through the rails

but no combustion

I've checked:

power/grounds to ECU (tomorrow will double check, probably will add a couple more ground wires to the body too....)

continuity between the ECU and TPS, knock sensor and all 4 injectors

fuel lines are hooked up correctly to the rails

for clogs in the rails (I removed the pressure regulator, put a bucket under it, and turned the ignition on, and fuel came out...)

plugged the ECU into our '94 legacy, and it works fine

I'm also assuming that all the sensors etc. on the engine work fine, since this engine ran awesome in the donor car before it was pulled. and it wasn't transported at all, just lifted out, it hung on the hoist for a few hours while I redrilled the flywheel, then I dropped it in the loyale.

I did just realize that I never installed the O2 sensor....it's plugged in, but just sitting in the spare tire well (wires will need to be lengthened, and I forgot). would this cause my lack of fuel? I figured a bad signal is better than no signal at all, and it should at least squirt in a little fuel, but it's not firing at all....nothin...

please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

yeah, he got that..

go over the timing belts again, it can't hurt.. make sure the left and right sprockets are on left and right.. see if there are any codes to be cleared or addressed...

I guess I'll check that. the timing belts were done only a few thousand miles ago, and I didn't touch them when I swapped the motor over.

UPDATE: the timing belts are fine. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the throttle body....and got nothing. I added a couple grounds in a couple places under the hood. made sure all my solders for crank and cam sensors had held, and weren't shorting to any adjacent wires. I'm going to have dinner, and then pull a fuel rail and see if the injectors are getting signal...

truth be told, I haven't figured out how to pull codes on these :o

i'd love to hear what you found Chux. Good work getting it running. I sure hope the sound of it popping to life was rewarding!

Now that the RX is 'fixed' I can again concentrate on getting the wagon running... and your symptoms sounded a lot like mine.

well, I spent all day today putting on coolant lines, bleeding brakes, installing bumper, renewing the license tabs, etc. so I didn't get it posted up.

well, first, we tested the crank and cam angle sensors, and found that when testing the A/C current generated by the cam sensor while cranking was about .5 volts at the plug on the engine, and only about .2 or so was making it to the

ECU. so while it was firing, it wasn't always the right time.

but we fixed that, and it didn't help, so we pulled the legacy harness out....again....set up a table (sawhorses and a piece of plywood), lots of good light, a couple pizzas, and lots of mountain dew, and 3 different versions of the wiring diagrams (one '92 FSM that I got from tex as a pdf, one FSM-based version in the Chiltons manual, and the haynes version, which doesn't have any references to which pin in the harness each wire goes to, but it has 99% correct colors!), and a complete pinout of the ECU (my buddy that was helping me works as a mechanic full-time, so he got it from the computers at work). we went through wire-by-wire, and made sure we had continuity between the ECU connector, and the other end (wherever it went form there...be it cam angle sensor, 02 sensor...or whatever), and we soldered all the connections (I had alot of crimped butt-splices....not a good idea :o ). then we sorted all the ign + wires out, and made sure they were all connected to the main relay somewhere. then we sorted all the batt + wires (only a couple, IIRC), and hooked them to one, fused wire that we could connect to the battery. then made sure everything that needed a ground had it.

THEN, we found a discrepency....and a possibly crucial one. there's a wire, a Green one with a black stripe, that on the FSM diagram just goes to a ground on the engine. I didn't have a ground there when I had tested it before, so I spliced it in there. Well, when we had the harness back out, I traced it to the connector on the engine harness, and found that the wire doesn't come out the engine side of that harnes. so, we checked it on the ECU pinout. and it's a jumper that tells the ECU whether or not it's a California car. so if this is grounded it uses different settings for the California emissions standards. and we suspected, that it could be a different fuel/ign map, that doesn't exist on non-California ECUs....and that it confused the ECU...Anyone ever heard of that??

anyway, enough of that....here's a short clip taken at about 3:45 yesterday morning:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-833013657343945103

that's with stock legacy y-pipe and midpipe, and no axle back (= 2 cats, no muffler)

yea....who'd a thunk all that??

anyway, on the '92 FSM, the wire in question is pin C11 on the ECU. like I say, it's a Green one with a Black stripe. it goes from there to the engine harness, and you'll see, it's one of the middle ones on the smaller plug (pin 7 on F26 on the FSM). and on non-california cars, you can see it on the body side of that plug, but not the engine side!

I noticed this on the harness I was working on, and thought it was way weird, so I went and looked on my dad's '94 legacy, and sure enough, same way. and the plug on the body side was NOT grounded!

Well done! Isn't the sound if it starting for the first time the best feeling? I also had some wiring issues when I did mine and took ages to sort out ... and just like you I had a bunch of different diagrams none which matched up perfectly to my engine/ecu but were close enough to work out in the end.

congrats :)

my 92 and 94 both have only 2.

yea, the sound of it starting was awesome :headbang: :headbang:

anyway, I scanned the 2 pages of the ECU pinout...if someone has access to a source where very high-res pics can be hosted. that'd be awesome! I'd just put them in my photobucket account, but that resizes it so much that it wouldn't be legible, and it's already pretty hard to read. but a HUGE help!!