Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am used to finding drain plugs way over torqued, but this one was too much. With a regular 1/2 driver socket wrench, I eventually got it to move. Now it is spinning and stripped. I assume I can get a used pan and a OEM gasket to get passed this issue. Anybody have some advice on this? Oh Yeah,

it is a 97 OBW, and I knew from the start which way to turn it. ;)

Michael BabyFace FitZ

You can drop the pan, but the engine will have to be jacked a little to get the back bolts. It easy if the exhaust pipe is dropped, but possible with it on.

A used pan and plug should be at most yards. RTV is the seal for the new pan.

It was probably put in cross threaded at the last change. Who changed the oil Last?

I am used to finding drain plugs way over torqued, but this one was too much. With a regular 1/2 driver socket wrench, I eventually got it to move. Now it is spinning and stripped. I assume I can get a used pan and a OEM gasket to get passed this issue. Anybody have some advice on this? Oh Yeah,

it is a 97 OBW, and I knew from the start which way to turn it. ;)

Michael BabyFace FitZ

This sounds like good advice Gary. I was thinking of maybe a fumoto plug with J.B. weld but your ideal is better.

i'd chase the threads with a tap and try another drain plug first.

if that didn't work i'd install an oversized plug. check them out at any autoparts stores. they are slightly oversized and self tapping just for these situations.

try an oversize4 plug as suggested.....to get the old out try grabbing with visegrips and pulling while turning and/or prying under lip with screwdriver to get some pressure to see if can engagethresds.

BTW I spent about 13 years 100 miles down I-44 from St. Louis(many friends in STL)....1972 to 1985....got engineering degree and moved to Texas after now wife graduated....

Good luck

There is a rubber plug made for this, or used to be. i think Chrysler may have used them at one time. The rubber plug which looks like a gromitthis expanded with the tool, then seals tight.

Look in the help sectionn of the auto parts store. Only down side is that you need a new one with every oil change, but they are cheap.

nipper

It sounds to me like he's saying the problem is the engaged drain plug threads or something stripped and now the drain plug turns but doesn't come out. Maybe you need to get someone to turn the plug while you use a couple screwdrivers or something to pry lightly behind it to maybe get the remaining threads to engage so it'll come out.

I think you should go back and make them fix it. The record of the miles on the last change should be there and if you are not to many miles over they ought not be any questions, take brus brothers advice it sounds good.

A local shop did it last. I don't think I have the receipt but the vinyl "sticker" is still on my windshield.

Michael

Yeah, I like the suggestion to bring it back to the same shop and have the oil changed again. When they tell you that the last shop that changed your oil damaged your plug, that window sticker is proof that it was them.

Heck, you might come away with a "corrected" situation and maybe a free oil change in the deal :brow: .

Please let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Just my 2 bucks

If you do have to remove it yourself one way is to drill a hole in the center of the plug (not all the way through). Then you tap it for a bolt and use a good hard one. Then cut a section off two inch pipe short enough to allow room for a nut and large body washer. If you notch the pipe to take a box wrench that fit the drain plug you have built a drain plug puller.

You tighten the nut on the bolt as you tun the wrench on the drain plug.

After you have it out you use an oversize self threading plug.

Cookie, sounds like you have been in this situiation yourself. Thats why I dont like any one else changing my oil always afraid they might cross thread it, even through I have cross threaded my share of nuts and bolts but not the oil drain plug yet, I did leave the drain plug out and let the oil pour out on ground one time.

If you do have to remove it yourself one way is to drill a hole in the center of the plug (not all the way through). Then you tap it for a bolt and use a good hard one. Then cut a section off two inch pipe short enough to allow room for a nut and large body washer. If you notch the pipe to take a box wrench that fit the drain plug you have built a drain plug puller.

You tighten the nut on the bolt as you tun the wrench on the drain plug.

After you have it out you use an oversize self threading plug.

I've installed a Fumoto years ago on my 96. Stories like this make me think I did the right thing.

For those preoccupied with the possibility of something snagging the lever, it's not really a problem and by using different thickness of washers you can, if you're anal about it, install it so the control lever is tucked well away from anything that could snag it.

My 2 cents.

TC when I used to be a truck mechanic with the junior guys changing the oil once a month or so I used to see this a lot. As the shop manager it was my job to fix whatever somebody else screwed up. After I designed and made that tool it would take me 10 minutes to fix one of those, much easier than changing oil pans.

Since I discovered the Fumoto this has all been much easier. I don't have a problem myself anyway but this is much easier. On my BMW it is about a grand if you strip the pan so why take a chance?

Since you and Frag do your own work I'm not surprised you use a Fumoto.

The Fumoto is great, I have one on my Subaru.

TC when I used to be a truck mechanic with the junior guys changing the oil once a month or so I used to see this a lot. As the shop manager it was my job to fix whatever somebody else screwed up. After I designed and made that tool it would take me 10 minutes to fix one of those, much easier than changing oil pans.

Since I discovered the Fumoto this has all been much easier. I don't have a problem myself anyway but this is much easier. On my BMW it is about a grand if you strip the pan so why take a chance?

Since you and Frag do your own work I'm not surprised you use a Fumoto.