Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 rotors

Interesting - I've not warped a set yet. I had not thought this to be a problem with the EA81 brakes..... well of course you *could* warp almost anything given the proper circumstances, but I drive my stock Brat pretty hard and haven't had any problems.

I've always taken my stock rotors in and had them turned - way I figure if they are warped, then once they are turned they should be more difficult to warp a second time.... just a thought.

Now I've also seen the pads wear unevenly on many of the ones I've taken apart. I think due to worn calipers or sliders. Any evidence of that? The pads wouldn't be as efficient disipating heat maybe?

GD

what brands do you guys use?i am obviously not a newb, so i am pretty sure they are warped.all mud cleaned ,and i am still shaking like a madman.before the show bad noises,did full brake check.all clear,obviously could not check rotors except for heat checking and what not.pads seem to have even wear,seem to have evn wear.i guess it is time to replace the whole brake system.once agian,what brands do you guys use for rotors?which are trustworthy?what aboput calipers?

so it only shakes when you're stopping?

I'll list these thoughts anyway, you're not a n00b, but you might be goofy on those pills the dentist gave you :headbang:

*mud on axles

*wheel bearings damaged

*mud on driveshaft

*tire treads not thoroughly cleaned

*loose suspension components (lift blocks, struts, ball joints, etc)

*gremlins

*gremlins

soundin like bugs bunny there... did you know that the gremlin was invented by Roald Dahl, the wonderful man who brought us Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, and so many other classics...

heh, i thought id make myself sound like the back of a book...

Subarus can warp rotors fairly easy given the e-brake config. Try not to use the e-brake, expecially after a long drive. The rotors will tend to cool, and if the ebrake is applied, the pressure being applied to the rotor while they cool can cause warpage.

With that said, i havent used any special brand. I got a set of rotors off ebay a while ago, and they worked good. Dunno if they warped easily cause i sold that brat about 2000mi after the brake job. Just whatever Napa carries I guess... dunno what brand, never thought to check.

Having your rotors turned will cost about as much as new rotors... at least, thats my experience here in CA. Not alot of shops wanna touch subaru rotors.

-Brian