Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2nd tranny ruined.

Hello all. I have a 1987 Gl-10 turbo with a D/R tranny in it. I was getting a mad vibration from the front end...I replaced the bearing and balljoints. The vibration would happen around 60mph. I didn't feel it in the steering wheel and my wheels are balanced. So I thought it could be my half shaft, so I removed it and put a cup in the spindle and went RWD mode.

It drove through the driveway and onto the road where I shifted into 2nd and all I heard was a rattle/scraping noise. Now the car won't go into any gear, and yes, I'm in 4wd...and not the midway.

If I put it in 4wd and in neutral, the stub off the tranny still moves and makes noise. THis happened with my other tranny after some offroading.

And to add, when I had the rear in the air, I would spin on tire and the other one wouldn't spin at all. Not the opposite (right, an open diff should do that) and not the same way (like an LSD would). Could it be the diff is causing my trannies to die?

Thanks for your time.

Justin Johnson

in my experience, and open diff will either spin the other wheel the other way, OR not spin it at all. it depends on whether something inside is left engaged or not.. im trying to describe something that ive never seen to fully grok it, but i think that you could probably go and rotate the driveshaft until you get the wheels spinning, and then go rotate one wheel and get the other to move.. but sometimes it can be that if you jack it up and spin, the other wheel won't spin at all. but i know ive seen many many open diffs that you spin one wheel the other doesnt necessarily spin at all.