Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Up Pipe Fixed

So yesterday I pulled the Up Pipe from my RX and found:

broken_pipe.jpg

I took it into work today and had a co-worker weld the flange back in place. Since this is pretty much the only thing holding my turbo in place, i made a small angle bracket and had that welded in place too. Hopefully this will strengthen the flange and keep this from happening again. Here are some shots of the fixed up pipe :)

downpipe_001.jpg

downpipe_002.jpg

Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to re-install it. I cant wait to get it back on and get my boost back!! :clap::headbang::clap:

-Brian

• Like 1

Taken from his info on the top corner of all of his posts...

City: Sacramento

State: California

Vehicles: '87 RX Modified, '84 GL Lifted

Don't think its the '84 since its in pieces now I believe, so it's gotta be his '87 RX, EA82T

• Like 1

I betcha you don't have the DP mounted to the tranny in the two spots, eh?

I did the same, and had the same result. Bolted it to the mounting points no problem since. 15k ago.

-Justin

this is true.

elimination of factory mounting points leads to things vibrating loose/breaking.

Yeah its from my RX... 1987 but doesnt matter cause all EA82T's have the same up pipes.

Your right, my exhaust is sagging. I will make sure to bolt up the downpipe when I re-install the up pipe. I wanna wrap the up pipe before I install it to help save my coolant lines.

-Brian

So i got some header wrap today from Napa... wrapped the section below the flange to help protect my coolant lines etc.

Installed the up-pipe. I bolted the mounts back in, and while I was under the car I found out both my engine mounts were loose. The bolts leading through the cross member were about to fall off. So, got everything squared away and installed and took the car for a test drive.

WOW THERE'S WHERE MY BOOST HAS BEEN ALL ALONG!!

Its been so long since I got max boost in 1st gear, but damn... as soon as I blip the peddle the boost gauge pegs at 6psi, maybe closer to 7psi. Car has some funky miss while under boost. Not exactly sure if its detonation or maybe something is loose, kinda feels like its running on 3cyl when i get on it. Anyone have any ideas?? Oh well, im just glad to have my postive intake pressure back! :headbang::clap:

-Brian

Its been so long since I got max boost in 1st gear, but damn... as soon as I blip the peddle the boost gauge pegs at 6psi, maybe closer to 7psi. Car has some funky miss while under boost. Not exactly sure if its detonation or maybe something is loose, kinda feels like its running on 3cyl when i get on it. Anyone have any ideas?? Oh well, im just glad to have my postive intake pressure back! :headbang::clap:

-Brian

Check your ignition coil. The XT does the same thing. I suspect the ignition coil.

I agree.. Higher cylinder charge pressure needs a stronger spark. A weak coil would/could cause a miss.

The coil is only one link in the high-tension/secondary circuit. Plugs, wires (especially if you really ARE just running on 3 during boost), cap, rotor, coil. I had a wire (or two) go bad and it felt like I had several bands of no-boost in my rev range.

I have a T-Loyale with a cracked up-pipe flange that has all pipe-mounting bolts secure. Just not a strong design at that flange. (Still cracked 'cuz I can't get some of the nuts broken loose. :mad: )

My pipe snapped the exact same way.

Lots of noise, not a lot of boost.

I have 2 spares that I have repaired... pretty common break. My question for SubaruJunkie is:

Didn't it make enough racket to make you look for a leak? Mine scares Harley riders when I start it. :grin: