Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emissions place foul up again

I'm beginning to wonder about the incompetence of the WA state emissions testing. My son took his '96 Impreza through today. He didn't see the guy put the rear wheels on wheel chocks and wasn't paying attention when the guy put the car in gear on the dyno. After about 30 seconds the emissions tester realized something was wrong, took the car out of gear and finished the test. Car passed, but James says the car "behaves funny." So what are the symptoms of that type of abuse? With a holiday weekend coming up he can't follow up on this until Tuesday.

Well that's not good. Manual or auto trans? Not that it really matters I guess, just curious. this Here's some info from Subaru about it but it doesn't say much about the issues people had after something like this, just says:

...transmission damage caused by two-wheel dynamometer testing. These owners reported no driveability problems prior to state-enhanced emission testing, but sought repair for driveability symptoms (vibrations, noise on turns, etc.) within 100 miles after the improperly performed two-wheel dynamometer test.