Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats this PCV valve, do i have one?

Canada, eh? Some emissions control may be different from US-spec, but yours should have a PCV valve. The PCV system is used to remove blowby gasses and other combustible vapors from the engine case. The system (valve and vent/breather hoses) should be checked and cleaned. The PCV valve itself is probably to the right (driver's perspective) of the throttle body. Do not forget to check hoses to both cam covers.

You have one. it is metal, and looks like a pipe threaded into the intake on the passenger side, beside the throttle body (that thing that looks like a carbeurator). It will have a hose attached to the other end, that goes down to a T fitting and into the crankcase. The valve covers will also have smaller hoses that serve the same purpose, for that area. Besides these, there is one hose that is attached to the air intake, and that is the real big one that goes to the Idle Air Control Solenoid. The part is like 5 or 6 dollars online. Perhaps the extravigant price of 15 at the dealer. . . If you suspect it at all, replace it. It is cheap enough. . . .

Precisely. You could test it and I guess if it rattles when you shake it, it may still be operative. Change it to ensure things remain as you describe (no fumes, smoke, runs well). Cheap insurance for $4+.

You think i really need it though, i mean the car emits no fumes or smoke and it drive superb.

Ok, i think i was looking at the right thing. I took off the cover on the engine. And i say a small pipe, pulled it off. THen i got a wrench took off the piece, and i shook it, and it shook good. Just looked gummed up. So i wd-40ed it ,and it now looks nice and clean. And the valve seems to work i guess if i can shake it and it bouces the insides. So i reinstalled it, and started her upp. Ran good as always. Might be better. But the fumes seemed to smell a little less. Next i need to grab some sea foam.

You think i really need it though, i mean the car emits no fumes or smoke and it drive superb.

Changing the PCV valve is part of scheduled maintenance (that no one does at the dealer).

To keep your engine in good condition, it should be replaced before it contributes to engine problems. If you have your scheduled service booklet with the owners manual, it should recommend when the PCV should be checked or replaced.

Changing the PCV valve is part of scheduled maintenance (that no one does at the dealer).

To keep your engine in good condition, it should be replaced before it contributes to engine problems. If you have your scheduled service booklet with the owners manual, it should recommend when the PCV should be checked or replaced.

IC well my dad, is hard headed. So he was money, i guess. lol. Hes just lazy to drive over to canadian tire and buy the valve. Do i also need to change the rubber pipe? Or just the valve?