Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*stabs* Timing belt cover bolts not coming out

I'm trying to do the pre-work for my oil pump change (remove the electric fan, timing belt covers, etc), and I've come to a snag. The timing belt cover bolts won't come loose on the passenger's side. Three out of the four just rotate the nut behind them (that's buried in the plastic).

Any thoughts on getting these out? Tearing apart the timing belt covers is an option (since I wasn't planning to put them right back on), but if there's a trick to holding those rear nuts stationary, I'd prefer to take the covers off in one piece.

-=Russ=-

Unfortunately, if the washer (or whatever you wanna call it) in the back cover is already spinning around, then it's destroyed the plastic behind it.

Just rip the covers off. I guarantee that anyone who's done a lot with EA cars on this board has also done it at some point or another.

If you want, post a wanted thread in the classifieds asking for a good set of timing covers. Or, you can even run without them if you want.

I run without them - no problems in 20,000 miles.

Use a chisel to split the plastic where the nuts are located. This will at least prevent you from destroying the front cover.

If you get new rear covers, use zip ties thought the holes instead of the bolts. This will insure they will come apart next time around.

GD

the first thing i had to do to my soob was timing belts... and the first destruction i had to wreak on the thing was the timnig belt covers. :-\ not a good way to begin a relationship with a new car, but i coped. I have since removed them when i did my waterpump.. and "forgot" to put 'em back on. the fronts I mean, the back side i have never removed.. and it appears from general opinion that for o road use those help provide about 80% of the protection the full covers provide.

ive seen lots of cars running without timing belt covers on, and I havent seen a problem occur yet. Although, in a sense, that might mean its overdue... :eek:

If you want to save the covers, you should be able to get them off by sliding a chisel or flat blade screwdriver between the front and rear covers, then pry while turning the bolt. Either the bolt will come out like it should or (more likely) the entire thing will come out.

I had to go through this a month ago...

The covers are a thermoplastic. Heat up the bolt enough and it will melt the plastic surrounding it and everything will slide out. Zip ties now sit in those honorary positions. I found this out on accident while grinding the bolt heads down. Careful with a flame because the covers will catch fire quite easily and sometimes stealthily.

wedging a flat screwdriver between the cover and twisting it will usually get it. and this way, you can pop the covers back on if you want to use them, they usually fit tightly so its not like they will fall off

it is GREAT to hear someone with MilesFox's reputation say that if the covers pop snugly back into place, they are not likely to fall off... granted, its taken with a HUGE grain of salt, but it is good to know that a situation has arisen where it has held :grin: