Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In a previous life I must have been a used car salesman

Did you drop anything in the cylinder?

Have you removed the cam cover to inspect? No compression is more likely to be a cylinder head gasket.... especially with the overheat you describe.

If the valve sticks open, the rocker will fall off.....

Try turning the valve to see if something is lodged in it, or what's going on. If the stem is bent then turning it may show this.

If nothing else works, then hammer on the valve spring till the thing closes properly again. It could just be some carbon build up or something. If the stem is bent hamering it till it opens properly will probably destroy the guide, but at least it will run. Probably smoke quite a bit.

Best thing to do is remove that head and inspect it if you can't fix it with the above technique.

GD

Holy ************!!!I pulled the cam cover off to see whats shaking.I noticed the lifter for the intake was detached and was just sitting there:confused: Then I tried to look for the thing that the tappet moves.It is nowhere in sight.I believe that might be the problem.looks like I need to pull the head to get this right.while im in this deep into the motor I should replace some things.headgaskets both sides( 3X.XX) I should replace the timing belts becuase who know when they were last done(5X.XX for both of them) then the front V belts need to be replace another 20 bucks

so something like 100 if everything else is ok.but...I plan on offroading it.I plan on putting bigger tires on it.I plan on putting fuel injection on the motor.so with all those things-repair and other wise.Whould I be better off putting in a EJ22 or 20?It has more power-killing the issue with larger tires.its fuel injected killing the FI swap latter on.And its a modern engine with some way to check how the engine is...So should I EJ it latter?And not even do anything to the motor thats in there?I suppose I could sell the EA82 and should get something for it...

#1 don't off-road it till you have two vehicles and AAA. Seriously. :rolleyes:

And don't say "I'm only going to do this or that with it". Never happens. You'll break it, then your life will be completely suck.

So far you have killed by my count 1 Brat, and 1 poor EA82 wagon.... between those two how many engines exactly? I lost count.

Anyway, you are soooo not ready to do an EJ swap. Don't even consider something like that till you have more experience. Plus you really need a whole donor car - wireing, etc. All said and done it's easily an $800 - $1000 job to do a transplant like that. No one ever gets away for much less - there is always maintenance items that should be done before the engine goes it - misc. parts and supplies. Not to mention whatever your month of labor is worth. Yeah - expect to spend two weeks to a month doing something like that unless you don't have to work or only work part time. Two cars, parts everywhere, hoists, jack stands. Just a mess..... been there, got the sports watch.

Pull the cam tower off and inspect. I had an 87 carb wagon that did something similar. It blew the HG on the passenger side, and one of the valve rockers was just hanging out in there. I still have no idea how this happened.... my guess is a severe overheat caused the valve to stick and the rocker just fell off, but I inspected everything, replaced the gasket, milled the head and tossed it all back together and it's fine to this day. The owner has put another 15k on it without problem. It does smoke a bit on hard acceleration, but just a little puff - nothing horrible.

$100? Are you smoking something? Try more like $200 or more. If you overheated it, then the head is warped. Almost a gaurantee. That's around $30 - $40 just to have it milled, and I would have them inspect that sticking valve as well. If you are going to the trouble to do that side, you may as well do both sides, so expect at least $100 bill from the machine shop to do up the heads for you. Then it's time for parts. Fel-Pro's are about $35 for two. You need cam tower o-rings, intake and exhaust gaskets, and probably want to replace the pan gasket, cam and crank seals while it's out. At least another $100 in parts. Then there's whatever tools and supplies you need. New oil+filter, coolant, etc, etc.

There's a reason shops charge like $500 - $800 to do HG's.

GD

Note:It only overheated after it was running low on power.(spiked to just below the red.

so why can't I grap the engine harness from a junkyard?aswell as the engine and all the relays?

I do have two cars-one waiting on a fuel pump then its back in business.

could the engine have warped when the oil is still clean and there isn't bubbles in coolant?

#1 don't off-road it till you have two vehicles and AAA. Seriously. :rolleyes:

And don't say "I'm only going to do this or that with it". Never happens. You'll break it, then your life will be completely suck.

GD

As much as you probably don't want to hear it, this is the truth.

Note:It only overheated after it was running low on power.(spiked to just below the red.

so why can't I grap the engine harness from a junkyard?aswell as the engine and all the relays?

I do have two cars-one waiting on a fuel pump then its back in business.

could the engine have warped when the oil is still clean and there isn't bubbles in coolant?

Warpage has nothing to do with bubbles or oil. It's heat - plain and simple. Get it to the red, and more than likely the heads will not come off straight. It's a subaru thing. Ever single engine I've taken down for head gaskets required milling with one exception - I just tore down the engine from my Brat, which had new HG's about 30k ago, AND the heads were already milled. It was severely overheated about a week after the HG's were done. No warpage, but it's almost certainly due to the fact they have *already* been warped and milled due to overheating.

Can you get an engine and harness from the junk yard? Sure you could. You are still looking at a $300+ junk yard bill, and then you still have to get the adaptor plate ($100 - $200 plus shipping depending on who you buy from), drill the flywheel, etc. You aren't going to really save any money using the junk yard for a swap like that. You can easily buy a wrecked legacy that runs for as much or less. And an engine from the yard has unknown history.

GD