Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone ever used a "Mitchell" CD ROM service manual? I jsut got one (via Ebay) thinking I was getting a Subaru factory service manual and boy was I mistaken. I only had time to play around with the thing for a few minutes last night (was tricky just to "install" the darn thing on my PC) and it is not a vry user friendly fortmat. And I have serious doubts about it being any more detailed and model specific that a Haynes manual. Anyone used one of these to good effect?

Mike V.

I have one that I use Mike and it is not what you are really after. Check my post in your thread about the purge valve. I left you a link to a better CD that I have also and it has more what you are looking for. Keep checking for a set of factory manuals on Ebay. When thet show up, buy'em. You won't be use anything else when you see how good they are. Even if the set is around $200 dollars it is a bargin when you think of the shop repair costs they can save you. One repair is usually all it takes.

Yep, nothin beats the OE manual (and info you can get free on EndWrench for certain jobs). I got a printed set of OE manuals for '00OBW on eBay for about $150; however I was kind of ticked when I recently saw I could get that set on CD-rom right from Subaru for about $200.

I also subscribed to alldatadiy, which has the same information as OE, except for a few spots where they show the info for the wrong engine/model.

Yep, nothin beats the OE manual (and info you can get free on EndWrench for certain jobs). I got a printed set of OE manuals for '00OBW on eBay for about $150; however I was kind of ticked when I recently saw I could get that set on CD-rom right from Subaru for about $200.

I also subscribed to alldatadiy, which has the same information as OE, except for a few spots where they show the info for the wrong engine/model.

I would rather have the books than the CD myself. Compared to the dealer prices for those manuals you got a very good deal. A full set of new manuals will cost more than $400 dollars.