Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone installed Overhead DVD Player?

I am strongly considering installing an overhead DVD player in my 2003 Outback Wagon. We currently have the type that clips onto the back of the headrest, but it is annoying to have it back there to insert/remove videos. Our daughter wants to touch and kick it, and when out 2nd daughter is old enough, she will want to be able to see it too. Plus, it is tempting to criminals to be in plain view, so we always have to remove and reinstall it when we leave the car.

I have found a few different brands of overhead dvd systems. Does anyone have any experience with these? I would like to install it myself, but I would consider in-store installation. I have installed various other items before... speakers, amps, alarm systems, head units, equalizers, etc.

I don't have experience with the headliner or roof construction, but I am in the process of learning about it. If the kids at best buy or circuit city can do it in an hour, I'm sure I could do it in a few hrs. on a weekend.

Anyone have any suggestions on brands, etc. or experience with installation?

Matt D

I installed one in my wife's Ford Explorer. If you are at all handy, and don't mind removing the headliner (fiberglass is annoying), it really wasn't that bad of an install - maybe 4-6 hours with a buddy.

Take your time, hide all the wires under the molding, I mounted the player under the back seat in the Explorer. I don't know what kind of unit your are getting, the player might mount with it - if not... under the passenger seat might work.

I wouldn't decide on where to put it until the headliner is out.... make sure you have enough to mount too....