Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Determining rare soob, with no production nfo

bgd73

I went to cars101.com and it helped. It has happened to me twice, the odd duck soob,and there is a third odd duck sitting up the road...

First was a 1987 DL. the thumpiest high comp soob with factory numbers of 8.5:1 - never encountered again, even the same models same year and miles to compare to. It also ran air cooled for a summer with no overheats. I haven't seen one do it again. The back end rode like a truck, and would 3 wheel it before it gave in enough to be dynamical. Was it some kind of japanese truck version? the heads had 2 crazy pipes climbing out from underneath into a recycle gadget that always stayed cool and even gave it more power. I haven't seen it again...

Second. my present 93 loyale is the last 2wd with the highest compression ever on an ea82 (9.5:1).. it is the only soob I have ever had where thoughts of slowing down occur frequently, and had it in triple digits on the highway mph.I have blown the exhaust off like an old v8 would through the seasons if 10:1 was the compression.the numbers for total sales at cars101 makes it a rare item where I live... and for the world for that matter.

the third, also with info found at cars101 is a 1988 mpfi turbo wagon. It is supposedly the lowest compression for a turbo ever by subaru (just one year- and this one was it.)

Does anyone have accurate ea82 production/sales info for different models, I am guessing at the three I have owned/interested in . :)

I know odd ones exist, especially with the gl's and strange things you may find oem. I am wondering if they kept playing around with options right to the end of production, and didn't really put advertising public knowledge into it. Cars101 is a great source BTW, I am hoping to get even more specific.thanks for help

i thought every EA82T piston was identical? 7.7:1 compression.

that is what I was hoping.I am assuming cars101 is wrong? or there really is yet another odd one.for 1988 listed:

1.8L water cooled turbocharger, 4 cyl OHC; compression 7.1:1; elec engine mgmt; fuel economy (est) 21/25

as quoted from this address:

http://www.cars101.com/oldsubaru.html#1988

That leads to another Q. Was there special requests for builds you could work through dealer upon ordering? I did find my odd sube there with 8.7:1, again I am hoping the site is correct.

Bear in mind, sites like cars101.com gather all the information from various sources, many of which are wrong.

You can safely say, all EA82 Turbos are 7.7:1. My 86 FSM says so, my 88 non-XT FSM says so.

The best source for specifications is your owner's manual, or an FSM. You'll be amazed at all the specifications listed in your friendly owner's manual.

it says my 83 gl10 4wd didnt have power windows or anything else power. i have every thing power even the power mirrors even though i never seen anything to adjust the mirrors.

It used to be locted next to your stock radio, but when you cut the console for an aftermarket deck, there is no place for the switch. So most just eliminate it.

GD

Bear in mind, sites like cars101.com gather all the information from various sources, many of which are wrong.

You can safely say, all EA82 Turbos are 7.7:1. My 86 FSM says so, my 88 non-XT FSM says so.

The best source for specifications is your owner's manual, or an FSM. You'll be amazed at all the specifications listed in your friendly owner's manual.

The closest I have to a fsm is from here in pdf, I was enthused enough to print it and laminate the pages.(60 bucks!) :)

I also have a chiltons and haynes.

I keep an eye out on ebay where I got my other book... but FSM sure seems a rare item. My 93 also has a rradio wiring not found in normal info. I luckily didn't want to use the oem shared ground. The FSM seems all the more in need after that find.