Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My BRAT's Got Rhythm?

I stopped at a stop light this afternoon and my tach was keeping perfect beat to the music on the radio. It's mostly rising and falling with the vocals, right down to the syllables as they are sung. It's pretty funny... acts just like an equalizer.

I only does it when I'm stopped with my foot on the brake, the engine rpms stay constant. Is it just happy, or did a ground go astray somewhere?

Do you have a multi-meter? If not, you can probably stop by an Autozone or the like and have them check your alt for free.

If you do, set it for Alternating Current, and test across the battery, or off the back of the alternator and to ground. There should be no AC output.

Harbor Frieght usually has digital multi-meters for about $5. Very usefull for an older subaru owner. :)

GD

I would suggest that you inspect and augment the major grounding points on your car. Also consider splicing into the radio's ground and instead of letting it ground through the harness, consider running a shorter ground driectly to the chassis somewhere...

When I have my cigarette-lighter cell phone charger plugged in, my radio is more staticky. I could ground the cigarette lighter more heavily and probably end that.