Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is my leg smoken to much??

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/beretta92d/?action=view&current=exhaustsmoke.flv

wasn't able to rev to high due to neighboors,only got up to 3k

(don't mind the beginning)

anyone else's soob smoke this much?

BTW-she only smokes that much upon start up and with burpping the throttle,is that a bad sign? (engine was warm,so it wasn't just cause of cold start up)

Is it burning/using anything such as oil? I've heard of the adding ATF to the oil as a 'flush'; I don't think I'd be up for it.

Sometimes people pull the spark plugs and shoot some ATF or something like lube control lc20 down in there and let it soak for a few days cranking it over for a second once a day (not starting, as the plugs are out) or so to soak the junk off the rings then change the oil after a couple days and fire 'er up. I don't know how well that would work on a Sub since the pistons are essentially horizontal verses many engines that are more at a slant to allow the stuff to work into/soak through the rings.

Some people pull water in through a vacuum line which supposedly does a really nice job of decoking the piston tops and stuff; i've never tried it.

You could maybe do a cylinder leakdown test or compression test to see if you've got leaky rings or anything freaky like that..harbor freight has the cylinder leakdown test kit on sale for like $25 right now...

It's running rich, and it's burning oil.

You've got internal engine issues. Either head related or bottom end related. Do a compression test and see what you come up with. If pressure is low in one cylinder, squirt oil into the cylinder, crank it over and do the test again. If the pressure goes up, you've more then likely have bottom end issues. If pressure doesn't go up, you likely have head issues.

There is no "quick fix"

Smoking after starting engine is most likely valve stem seals leaking, at least that was what caused it in my chev.

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/beretta92d/?action=view&current=exhaustsmoke.flv

wasn't able to rev to high due to neighboors,only got up to 3k

(don't mind the beginning)

anyone else's soob smoke this much?

BTW-she only smokes that much upon start up and with burpping the throttle,is that a bad sign? (engine was warm,so it wasn't just cause of cold start up)

Smoking after starting engine is most likely valve stem seals leaking.

that's the only time she smokes.almost like when engine's not running,oil is dripping into combustion chamber and collecting on top off piston.and when i start the engine,oil gets burnt(or something like that)

vavle stem seals sound easier to replace then rings..:brow:

On the Chev. engine they can be replaced without removing heads, I dont know about Subaru. It seems like it would be harder for oil to leak from the seals on the Subaru being the head is on the side.

that's the only time she smokes.almost like when engine's not running,oil is dripping into combustion chamber and collecting on top off piston.and when i start the engine,oil gets burnt(or something like that)

vavle stem seals sound easier to replace then rings..:brow:

pcv=positive crankcase ventilation. It's basically a check valve. It passes combustion blowby gases back into the intake air stream. Some people like to put a catch can inline after the pcv valve to catch oil and maybe settle oil vapor/mist and other stuff so it doesn't get fed back into the intake thus potentially gumming things up.

my 61 chevy pick up had positive crankcase ventilation ... it was a tube hanging off the side of the block venting the crankcase. it was positively ventilating and driping with oil.

pcv=positive crankcase ventilation. It's basically a check valve. It passes combustion blowby gases back into the intake air stream. Some people like to put a catch can inline after the pcv valve to catch oil and maybe settle oil vapor/mist and other stuff so it doesn't get fed back into the intake thus potentially gumming things up.

So what exactly does this PCV valve do?

The PCV valve takes the 'blow-by' combustion gasses from the crankcase (they usted to just vent into the atmosphere via a down tube) and routes them into the intake manifold where they are burned. Kinda like a SCUBA rebreather.

I dunno if a clogged PCV would create excess smoking or not, but they're cheap, as are air filters, so whynot.

Back in the 'old days' (i'm talking O-L-D here), I cured many an engine of this by mixing a couple heaping tablespoons of BonAmi into 20WT oil and running it through the carb. The Bon Ami would deglaze the cylinder walls of varnish and burned oil build-ups and reseat the rings. But this was on very low compression cast-iron block engines ... do NOT try it with a Subaru.

Try Seafoam

My understanding is that they cause oil bunring when they stick open or the spring gets weak and it opens too soon. This is supposed to suck oil from the crankcase into the manifold on decelleration. On the ones with no spring sometimes the ball and seat gets worn and causes the same thing.

is there a chance that running upper engine cleaner could cause probs with pvc?

it wasn't recent but i put in a new pvc awhile back.

i'm picking up a new one anyway tomorrow along with new plugs and air filter...gonna have to wait for wires until next payday.

:(

and as far as i remember,she has blown smoke every time i'd rev up the engine at least ever since i've owned her(3yrs).

here's the stock vid.

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/beretta92d/?action=view&current=stockexhaust.flv

well here's an update on my oil burning ej22...

well after picking up the plugs/air filter and pvc and proceeding to leave the parking lot.i noticed the engine wasn't running right..sputtering and what not.well i got her home and proceeded to change the plugs.1st one out was good(normal wear) well the next one out would explain the sputtering and feel of running on 3 cylinders..it was covered with oil an sludge..

apparently my valve stem oil seals need replaceing (so said my soob mech friend) and of course the news he told me didn't make me any happier...on how the engine has to come out in order to do the head work.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

i guess that would explain were my oil is going :-\

oh ya an i could only replace 3 plugs cause the 4th has a heli coil on it and i was sure if it would be a good idea to try and swith the heli over to new plug...